POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Earth science education : Re: Earth science education Server Time
6 Oct 2024 06:16:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Earth science education
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Mar 2015 11:02:39
Message: <55044d8f$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/03/2015 12:20, Doctor John wrote:
> On 14/03/15 11:50, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> On 14-3-2015 11:04, Stephen wrote:
>>> I feel quite smug that I can add up in my head, quicker than a cashier
>>> with an adding machine.
>>>

> Ah, but can you convert decimal to hexadecimal in your head? I can :-)

Not Hex but Octal and BCD, yes.*

> Seriously, though, this is evidence of the rigour that was applied to
> the teaching of arithmetical skills when we were in primary school.  The
> introduction of 'The New Math' in the late sixties was a step in the
> wrong direction.

I've just checked and I can still say my "times tables". At least the
two times and the five times. And the twelve times.
How we envied the Continentals who only had to learn up to ten.

>> You are part of a dwindling population on the brink of extinction ;-)
>>

> I, for one, am attempting to reverse this decline. The Feegle (4 years
> old now) can confidently count to ten and gets up to twenty with a
> little prompting;he is aware of the concepts of addition and
> subtraction as well as being able to put these concepts into practice
> with a reasonable standard of accuracy. He is also showing a good
> understanding of the basic principles of mechanics.

Next, you can teach him to count to 29 without taking off his socks. ;-)

> So, when are you and Stephen (as well as Holsenback, Henderson et al)
> going to help me populate the world with a seed population of little
> scientists? ;-)

No, because... <Fade in>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUspLVStPbk&feature=player_detailpage#t=54

*