POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 11:12:04 EDT (-0400)
  A monologue involving binary log (Message 11 to 20 of 78)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: A monologue involving binary log
Date: 15 Feb 2015 06:24:17
Message: <54e081e1$1@news.povray.org>
>> I haven't met them. Everybody I've met regards having technical
>> knowledge as only something "nerds" and "losers" have - including the
>> people I work with, who are all professional computer programmers. They
>> all know how to write C#, yet they seem to think that understanding
>> relational algebra or knowing how floating-point arithmetic works is
>> only for lamers.
>
> That is because you have academic interests. Most professional computer
> programmers, I work with. Do it because it is a job. Not for love.

This.

Everybody I met at university was like "OMG, this is SOOO boring! Just
give me the piece of paper so I can start earning thousands of pounds
per hour as a top London computing consultant."

Everybody seemed to think that computing is *excruciatingly* boring, but
also that there's billions of pounds in it. Like, if you have any
computer skills at all, you're going to be a millionaire. (Still, it
*was* right around the height of the dot-com bubble I suppose...)

>>> And I agree with John: you would be an excellent teacher.
>>
>> Again, I don't know. I'm good at writing long monologues that nobody
>> will ever read; interacting with a room full of live humans is quite
>> different. It requires a different skill set.
>
> Unless you can use your competitive dancing skills to be in front of an
> audience.

Uh, I do competitive dancing; what makes you think I have *skills*? :-P

Unless you mean I give the lecture while dancing the quickstep. ^_-

>> My Dad tells me [so I don't know how true this is] that Bach was a
>> virtuoso organ player, but a HORRIBLE teacher. He just couldn't
>> understand why nobody else could play like him...
>
> And his throw away scales became the Brandenburg Concertos.

Hey, I think I have the score for that somewhere...

Post a reply to this message