POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:22:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 15 Feb 2015 07:57:16
Message: <54e097ac@news.povray.org>
>> As I say, it seems to just preclude you ever getting employed, ever
>> again.
>
> For Arts graduates maybe. I have met so many PhD doctors at work. I only
> look up to Misters. ;-)
> Having a higher degree in maths type subjects would open doors to
> better/more interesting jobs.

According to the Academia Stack Exchange portal, it seems if you have a
PhD, everybody immediately assumes you're going to be hellishly
expensive to hire and summarily drops you from consideration.

Unless you want to work in the finance industry, which only exists in
London.

>> Fun fact: They stopped giving out university grants just a year or two
>> before I started university. I AM STILL PAYING FOR MY TUITION! More than
>> a decade later... *sigh*
>>

> Scandalous!

Hey, I spent 10 years earning minimum wage, so...

>> Favourite anecdote:
>
> It only saddens me it does not surprise me.

In fairness, while he only said a few sentences, it was immediately
clear to me that he knew what he was talking about. As in, logarithms
aren't just something he heard about once, he actually *understood*
them. (As opposed to merely rote-memorising some facts about them.)