POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A monologue involving binary log : Re: A monologue involving binary log Server Time
6 Oct 2024 09:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A monologue involving binary log
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 15 Feb 2015 07:53:30
Message: <54e096ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/02/2015 12:26 PM, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> I am not a computer professional so that world is indeed foreign to me,
> but what you and Stephen are saying truly appals me... But then I may be
> from an alien planet: I have never been /really/ interested in money... :-)

There is something deeply worrying about... OK, so let's try this. Come
on this journey with me.

You see a job advert for an English / French translator. The advert says
there will be a test during the interview. You don't know a single word
of French, but you think to yourself "bah, nobody will notice. I'll just
Google search of the words when I need to. It'll be fine."

WHAT. THE. HELL.

I'm sorry, IN WHICH UNIVERSE IS NOBODY GOING TO NOTICE?! What the HELL
are you smoking?!!

Nobody thinks this will work. Nobody ever tries this. Because nobody is
that stupid. But replace being able to write French with being able to
write C#, and suddenly everybody thinks that somehow "nobody will
notice". Wuh?!

I went to one interview where there was an SQL test. The job advert says
that SQL knowledge is required. The job advert says there will be a
test. There is no time limit on the test. The test is OPEN BOOK; you
have access to the Microsoft SQL Server help file [but not the
Internet]. You have a computer in front of you to test your answers with.

According to the interviewer, people turned up with "20 years' SQL
experience" and failed to answer a single question.

That was the moment when I realised something: People LIE on their CV.

I mean, sure, I know people *exaggerate* their capabilities. But this
revelation left me stunned. Anybody who claims to have "20 years' SQL
experience" and yet cannot figure out how to select all customers from
the customer table is LYING. This is not an exaggeration for dramatic
effect, this is outright FRAUD. Strictly speaking, this is ILLEGAL.

I used to be worried about overstating my abilities on my CV, lest I
give people the impression that I have capabilities that I don't. Now I
only worry about how to tell people that I'm not just MAKING CRAP UP!
Some people's CVs clearly have no connection to reality. How do you
prove to people trying to hire you that you're not just talking nonsense?

Also: FizzBuzz exists. Because, from what I've seen, 99% of all the
people you interview have NO IDEA how to write software. I don't mean
they're not very good at it, I mean... Imagine hiring a lorry driver,
and finding out he doesn't know which pedal is the brake and which one
is the accelerator. This person CLEARLY has never sat behind the
controls of a vehicle - no matter WHAT his CV claims.

We started doing phone screenings rather than waste our time with
hopeless people. We find a website where you can watch the other person
type, in real-time, as they type it. Almost everybody who reaches this
stage doesn't get to have a face-to-face interview. A few people got
creative though:

* While talking to one guy, we could *clearly* hear somebody else
sitting next to him telling him what to type. Er, REJECT!

* Another guy, we asked him to write some code. We can hear typey typey
typey. Er, can you type into the window please? Typey, typey, typey,
BAM! Suddenly a huge block of text appears all at once. In other
words... you just Googled the answer and copy-pasted it, didn't you? REJECT!

Seriously, how the **** do people think we're not gonna notice this
stuff? Let us suppose, for argument's sake, that you somehow trick us
into interviewing you... Do you REALLY THINK it won't instantly become
EXTREMELY OBVIOUS that you're bluffing? How do you actually see this
playing out? Are you mental?!

I wonder... Does anybody have this much trouble hiring a carpenter?

> That last is indeed true but can be learned with practice (like
> dancing). Writing skills, which you have already, is more difficult to
> learn.

I guess that just leaves us with the problem of nobody wanting to learn
then. ;-)

> I must say that I enjoy your long monologues btw.

Oh, well, I'm glad somebody does. Sometimes it does feel like I'm
talking to myself...

> Seriously, in a good lecture before an audience, some kind of
> choreography (even body language) is of paramount importance. Whatever
> the subject.

I'm sure if I give a lecture while doing the Charleston to some
authentic music, everybody will remember me. No idea if they'll remember
a damned thing I said, but... ^_^