POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Beware Hacks Server Time
8 Jul 2024 09:04:08 EDT (-0400)
  Beware Hacks (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Stephen
Subject: Beware Hacks
Date: 1 Feb 2015 13:26:47
Message: <54ce6fe7$1@news.povray.org>
When you are cooking with chillies.

Ouch!

And ouch again.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Beware Hacks
Date: 1 Feb 2015 16:13:27
Message: <54ce96f7$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 18:26:46 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> When you are cooking with chillies.
>
> Ouch!
>
> And ouch again.

That gets me on occasion when I neglect to put on gloves for handling the
chilis.

Jim

From: Stephen
Date: 1 Feb 2015 18:30:38
Message: <54ceb71e$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/02/2015 21:13, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 18:26:46 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> When you are cooking with chillies.
>>
>> Ouch!
>>
>> And ouch again.
>
> That gets me on occasion when I neglect to put on gloves for handling the
> chilis.

White ones? :-P

It doesn't usually bother me as the skin on my hands is used to being
roughly treated. But it is winter and I have a hack (cracked skin) about
3/16" long and down to the meat. The tomato sauce I was making was not
spicy enough so I crumbled a couple of dried chillies into it.
I thought that with this being a computer oriented group. The word play
would be appreciated.

How's the job going? BTW.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 23:30:37 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 01/02/2015 21:13, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 18:26:46 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> When you are cooking with chillies.
>>>
>>> Ouch!
>>>
>>> And ouch again.
>>
>> That gets me on occasion when I neglect to put on gloves for handling
>> the chilis.
>>
> White ones? :-P

Powder-free nitrile exam gloves are what we use.  Excellent for food
handling, and disposible.

> It doesn't usually bother me as the skin on my hands is used to being
> roughly treated.

It generally doesn't bother me until I go to rub my eyes - and then I
remember.  That comes as a result of my allergies, hence the need to use
gloves. :)

> But it is winter and I have a hack (cracked skin) about
> 3/16" long and down to the meat. The tomato sauce I was making was not
> spicy enough so I crumbled a couple of dried chillies into it.
> I thought that with this being a computer oriented group. The word play
> would be appreciated.

I actually wasn't aware of that usage of the word 'hack' - now that I do
understand, that is a bit of fun wordplay.

> How's the job going? BTW.

Excellent.  We just finished a software RTM last Friday - my first major
release - and it was hectic and crazy, but a lot of fun.  The most fun
I've had anywhere I've worked, actually - I get to play with new software
and figure out how it works, and then write about it.  And my coworkers
on the teams I work with are just FANTASTIC.

We just signed the second year lease on our apartment, so we're staying
here for at least another year. :)

Jim

On 02/02/2015 06:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 23:30:37 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>

>> White ones? :-P
>
> Powder-free nitrile exam gloves are what we use.  Excellent for food
> handling, and disposible.

I was joshing. White gloves as in dress uniform. :-)

>> It doesn't usually bother me as the skin on my hands is used to being
>> roughly treated.
>
> It generally doesn't bother me until I go to rub my eyes - and then I
> remember.  That comes as a result of my allergies, hence the need to use
> gloves. :)

Or rub your nostrils. In truth it is sensible to wear them. I've seen
chefs use them for chillies and with food like beetroots.

>> But it is winter and I have a hack (cracked skin) about
>> 3/16" long and down to the meat. The tomato sauce I was making was not
>> spicy enough so I crumbled a couple of dried chillies into it.
>> I thought that with this being a computer oriented group. The word play
>> would be appreciated.
>
> I actually wasn't aware of that usage of the word 'hack' - now that I do
> understand, that is a bit of fun wordplay.

Do you know the usage in the phrase "I can't hack it"? Meaning I can't
do it.

>> How's the job going? BTW.
>
> Excellent.  We just finished a software RTM last Friday - my first major
> release - and it was hectic and crazy, but a lot of fun.  The most fun
> I've had anywhere I've worked, actually - I get to play with new software
> and figure out how it works, and then write about it.  And my coworkers
> on the teams I work with are just FANTASTIC.

I am pleased to hear that. It sounds like an ideal job. :-D

> We just signed the second year lease on our apartment, so we're staying
> here for at least another year. :)

And away from the bad weather too.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 07:20:55 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 02/02/2015 06:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 23:30:37 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> White ones? :-P
>>
>> Powder-free nitrile exam gloves are what we use.  Excellent for food
>> handling, and disposible.
>>
> I was joshing. White gloves as in dress uniform. :-)

Never owned one of those. ;)

>>> It doesn't usually bother me as the skin on my hands is used to being
>>> roughly treated.
>>
>> It generally doesn't bother me until I go to rub my eyes - and then I
>> remember.  That comes as a result of my allergies, hence the need to
>> use gloves. :)
>>
> Or rub your nostrils. In truth it is sensible to wear them. I've seen
> chefs use them for chillies and with food like beetroots.

Yep.  There are other things that it's inadvisable to do as well, but
let's not get into that here. :)

>>> But it is winter and I have a hack (cracked skin) about 3/16" long and
>>> down to the meat. The tomato sauce I was making was not spicy enough
>>> so I crumbled a couple of dried chillies into it.
>>> I thought that with this being a computer oriented group. The word
>>> play would be appreciated.
>>
>> I actually wasn't aware of that usage of the word 'hack' - now that I
>> do understand, that is a bit of fun wordplay.
>>

> Do you know the usage in the phrase "I can't hack it"? Meaning I can't
> do it.

Yep, that one I know.

>>> How's the job going? BTW.
>>
>> Excellent.  We just finished a software RTM last Friday - my first
>> major release - and it was hectic and crazy, but a lot of fun.  The
>> most fun I've had anywhere I've worked, actually - I get to play with
>> new software and figure out how it works, and then write about it.  And
>> my coworkers on the teams I work with are just FANTASTIC.
>>

> I am pleased to hear that. It sounds like an ideal job. :-D

It really is - I work from home, but we do all of our calls using video
chat tools, so we actually get a lot of good interaction.

>> We just signed the second year lease on our apartment, so we're staying
>> here for at least another year. :)
>>
> And away from the bad weather too.

Yep.  Today is nice - in the 50's (F, natch), and a little rainy.  After
living in the desert so long, rain is really welcome. :)  And fog!  In
Utah, the only time the air was not clear, it was because of pollution.

Jim

> On 02/02/2015 06:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 23:30:37 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>> It generally doesn't bother me until I go to rub my eyes - and then I
>> remember.  That comes as a result of my allergies, hence the need to use
>> gloves. :)
>>

> Or rub your nostrils. In truth it is sensible to wear them. I've seen
> chefs use them for chillies and with food like beetroots.

I saw this sign on the bathroom door of a pub where they were having a
jalapeno eating contest:

"Wash your hands BEFORE and AFTER using the facilities"

From: Stephen
Date: 3 Feb 2015 12:40:06
Message: <54d107f6@news.povray.org>
On 03/02/2015 14:49, Francois Labreque wrote:

> I saw this sign on the bathroom door of a pub where they were having a
> jalapeno eating contest:
>
> "Wash your hands BEFORE and AFTER using the facilities"

Jim's nitrile exam gloves should have been supplied. Or sugar tongs.
Which reminds me of an old joke.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 3 Feb 2015 22:31:28
Message: <54d19290$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.02.2015 um 18:40 schrieb Stephen:
> On 03/02/2015 14:49, Francois Labreque wrote:
>>>
>> I saw this sign on the bathroom door of a pub where they were having a
>> jalapeno eating contest:
>>
>> "Wash your hands BEFORE and AFTER using the facilities"
>
> Jim's nitrile exam gloves should have been supplied. Or sugar tongs.
> Which reminds me of an old joke.

The waiter, after the restaurant had hired a consulting company?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 4 Feb 2015 04:42:52
Message: <54d1e99c$1@news.povray.org>
On 04/02/2015 03:31, clipka wrote:
> The waiter, after the restaurant had hired a consulting company?

Not that one, it is too corporate. The one I know would be considered
politically incorrect, nowadays.

--

Regards
     Stephen