POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Beware Hacks : Re: Beware Hacks Server Time
6 Oct 2024 07:06:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beware Hacks
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Feb 2015 12:11:37
Message: <54cfafc9$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 02 Feb 2015 07:20:55 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 02/02/2015 06:35, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 23:30:37 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>>> White ones? :-P
>>
>> Powder-free nitrile exam gloves are what we use.  Excellent for food
>> handling, and disposible.
>>
> I was joshing. White gloves as in dress uniform. :-)

Never owned one of those. ;)

>>> It doesn't usually bother me as the skin on my hands is used to being
>>> roughly treated.
>>
>> It generally doesn't bother me until I go to rub my eyes - and then I
>> remember.  That comes as a result of my allergies, hence the need to
>> use gloves. :)
>>
> Or rub your nostrils. In truth it is sensible to wear them. I've seen
> chefs use them for chillies and with food like beetroots.

Yep.  There are other things that it's inadvisable to do as well, but
let's not get into that here. :)

>>> But it is winter and I have a hack (cracked skin) about 3/16" long and
>>> down to the meat. The tomato sauce I was making was not spicy enough
>>> so I crumbled a couple of dried chillies into it.
>>> I thought that with this being a computer oriented group. The word
>>> play would be appreciated.
>>
>> I actually wasn't aware of that usage of the word 'hack' - now that I
>> do understand, that is a bit of fun wordplay.
>>

> Do you know the usage in the phrase "I can't hack it"? Meaning I can't
> do it.

Yep, that one I know.

>>> How's the job going? BTW.
>>
>> Excellent.  We just finished a software RTM last Friday - my first
>> major release - and it was hectic and crazy, but a lot of fun.  The
>> most fun I've had anywhere I've worked, actually - I get to play with
>> new software and figure out how it works, and then write about it.  And
>> my coworkers on the teams I work with are just FANTASTIC.
>>

> I am pleased to hear that. It sounds like an ideal job. :-D

It really is - I work from home, but we do all of our calls using video
chat tools, so we actually get a lot of good interaction.

>> We just signed the second year lease on our apartment, so we're staying
>> here for at least another year. :)
>>
> And away from the bad weather too.

Yep.  Today is nice - in the 50's (F, natch), and a little rainy.  After
living in the desert so long, rain is really welcome. :)  And fog!  In
Utah, the only time the air was not clear, it was because of pollution.

Jim