POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People Who Break The Law. He Answers Poorly. Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money To People Who Break The Law. He Answers Poorly. (Message 90 to 99 of 119)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Senator Asks Official Why He's Giving More Money ToPeople WhoBreakTheLaw. He Answers Poorly.
Date: 26 Sep 2014 16:05:13
Message: <5425c6f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/09/14 20:41, clipka wrote:

> I suspect that the original term, like many of the fallacies' names, was
> pure latin: "argumentum ab ignorantia", literally meaning "argument from
> non-knowledge", and that it was poorly "anglicanized" later.
>
> Alternatively, it may have been "anglicanized" at a time when the
> meaning of "ignorance" was closer to the original latin word, rather
> than the "not knowing shit" meaning it seems to be used for nowadays.

I am inclined to agree with your analysis; it's a shame that fewer and
fewer people seem to have even a passing acquaintance with Latin these days.
BTW I'm not nit-picking, just correcting someone whose English is way
better than my German. The word you should have used was 'Anglicized'.
'Anglican' refers to the the Church of England.

> That's indeed Occam's Razor at its best.

That's why I love this newsgroup. We have an amazing collection of
logicians, mathematicians, computer scientists etc etc.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

Am 26.09.2014 22:05, schrieb Doctor John:
> On 26/09/14 20:41, clipka wrote:
>>
>> I suspect that the original term, like many of the fallacies' names, was
>> pure latin: "argumentum ab ignorantia", literally meaning "argument from
>> non-knowledge", and that it was poorly "anglicanized" later.
> BTW I'm not nit-picking, just correcting someone whose English is way
> better than my German. The word you should have used was 'Anglicized'.
> 'Anglican' refers to the the Church of England.

Yeah, I had a hunch something like that might be the case. Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> Am 26.09.2014 22:05, schrieb Doctor John:
>> On 26/09/14 20:41, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> I suspect that the original term, like many of the fallacies' names, was
>>> pure latin: "argumentum ab ignorantia", literally meaning "argument from
>>> non-knowledge", and that it was poorly "anglicanized" later.
>> BTW I'm not nit-picking, just correcting someone whose English is way
>> better than my German. The word you should have used was 'Anglicized'.
>> 'Anglican' refers to the the Church of England.
>
> Yeah, I had a hunch something like that might be the case. Thanks.

No problem. Have a good weekend

John