POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Really? (Message 92 to 101 of 121)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Really?
Date: 14 Sep 2014 06:59:01
Message: <541574f5$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/09/2014 23:30, Doctor John wrote:
> On 13/09/14 22:41, Stephen wrote:
>>
>> That's fine by me. I'm taking time off ATM.
>> I might need consoling after the 19th.
>>

> That's what we're here for.

At least I can't be repatriated.

>>> John (raising glass to Jim and Stephen)
>>>

>> Lordy you are posh.
>>
>> Stephen raising his bottle of Grouse to all and sundry. ;-)
>>

> To each his own

That's right. You use a glass and if I can't find a jam jar. I'll use
the bottle. :-)

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2014 07:35:40
Message: <54157d8c@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2014 02:46, clipka wrote:
> Am 14.09.2014 02:32, schrieb Stephen:

>>> Just wondering: Would that be in the yes- or the no-case?
>>>
>>> (I have a hunch, but I might be wrong of course.)
>>
>> You, wrang ma loon?
>> Ne'er ;-)

Sorry.I'll write that in English.
You, wrong young man.
Never. <wink)

> Me, personally, I think whether Scotland would be better off with a
> "yes" or "no" is immensely difficult to predict;

That does not stop people from being positive in their ideas.

>and you know what the
> Danes say about predictions, especially when they pertain to the future.

No I don't? I know what they say about bad weather.
There is no bad weather only bad clothing.

> But I suspect that the rest of GB would fare better with a "no", while I
> as an outsider would certainly profit from a "yes" result, if only for
> the added entertainment :-)

I'll throw a German word back to you.
Schadenfreude. :-P

> I've been to the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Southern Uplands region once,
> and had no problems whatsoever understanding the people there.

That's what I would expect. The North East of Scotland is more
influenced by the Scandinavians who often came "first footing" ;-)

> Including
> the guy I had to deal with on the first day, who was indeed wearing a
> kilt at work (and no, he was not in the tourist business, but the head
> of an IT department ;-)).

Ah! the kilt. That well known symbol of lowland and upland dress. </irony>

> That same trip later led me to Middle England;

You probably mean the Midlands. "Middle England" is not geographical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_England

> it was late at night when
> I arrived, and I had to ask for the way, so I did. Well, the guy seemed
> sober enough, but I swear: I did not understand One. Single. Freakin'.
> Word. And I mean that literally.

I believe you. The Birmingham accent has now beaten Glaswegian into
second place for incomprehensibility to Southerners.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brummie#Stereotypes

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2014 07:45:45
Message: <54157fe9$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2014 03:18, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 22:41:56 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

>> That's fine by me. I'm taking time off ATM.
>> I might need consoling after the 19th.
>
> Hope everything's OK....

It won't be for half the country, either way.

Indyref.

>> Stephen raising his bottle of Grouse to all and sundry. ;-)
>
> Jim raising his bottle as well - currently just water with lemon, at
> least until the effects of the medication I started last week are known
> (for hypertension).

Not too high, I hope.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 14 Sep 2014 11:03:13
Message: <5415ae31$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.09.2014 13:35, schrieb Stephen:
> On 14/09/2014 02:46, clipka wrote:

>>> You, wrang ma loon?
>>> Ne'er ;-)
>>

> Sorry.I'll write that in English.

No need to; I got that (after, admittedly, having to look up "loon" to
be sure it means what I thought it meant) :)

>> Me, personally, I think whether Scotland would be better off with a
>> "yes" or "no" is immensely difficult to predict;
>
> That does not stop people from being positive in their ideas.
>
>> and you know what the
>> Danes say about predictions, especially when they pertain to the future.
>
> No I don't? I know what they say about bad weather.
> There is no bad weather only bad clothing.

There's an old Danish saying (wrongfully attributed to Niels Bohr, Mark
Twain and a few others) to be careful about predictions, /especially/
when they involve the future.

>> But I suspect that the rest of GB would fare better with a "no", while I
>> as an outsider would certainly profit from a "yes" result, if only for
>> the added entertainment :-)
>
> I'll throw a German word back to you.
> Schadenfreude. :-P

Yup, guilty as charged. Mostly concerning the rest of GB though. Will
they continue to call themselves "Great Britain"(*)? The "United
Kingdom" will probably no longer be so united, will it? How about the
Union Jack, I guess they'll have to deconstruct it. Will they have to
place guards at the Scottish border? Dismantle their nuclear arsenal?
And so on.

Of course there are equally interesting questions regarding Scotland,
especially relating to the EU and the Euro, but they're more of the
suspense kind, rather than laden with Schadenfreude. To the contrary -
I'd love to see an independent thriving Scotland teach the rest of GB a
lesson.

(*) How about "Rump Great Britain" - that would make it "RGB" :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2014 13:48:37
Message: <5415d4f5$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2014 16:03, clipka wrote:
> There's an old Danish saying (wrongfully attributed to Niels Bohr, Mark
> Twain and a few others) to be careful about predictions, /especially/
> when they involve the future.

Now I now.

>> I'll throw a German word back to you.
>> Schadenfreude. :-P
>
> Yup, guilty as charged. Mostly concerning the rest of GB though. Will
> they continue to call themselves "Great Britain"(*)?

I don't see how they can. "Great" in this sense means greater. Britain
is the Roman occupied Britannia.

> The "United
> Kingdom" will probably no longer be so united, will it?

Never really was. Wales and Ireland were conquered by England.
Since we would have the same monarch it could still  be called UK United
Kingdom.

> How about the Union Jack,

The Union Flag is its proper name and that would not fit.

> I guess they'll have to deconstruct it.

There has been talk about that.

> Will they have to
> place guards at the Scottish border?

Depends if Scotland has to sign the Schengen agreement if it gets to
join the EU.

> Dismantle their nuclear arsenal?

Now that is something the SNP want. A nuclear free Scotland.
It will be interesting to watch. BTW we use "Schadenfreude" as well. :-)

> And so on.
>
> Of course there are equally interesting questions regarding Scotland,
> especially relating to the EU and the Euro, but they're more of the
> suspense kind, rather than laden with Schadenfreude. To the contrary -
> I'd love to see an independent thriving Scotland teach the rest of GB a
> lesson.

Yeah! Just like the Free State of Ireland did.

> (*) How about "Rump Great Britain" - that would make it "RGB" :-)

In Scotland we never put Green and Blue together. A religious sectarian
joke.

It may not interest anyone to know. All four of my grandparents were
from different countries of the UK. Yip! I'm a True Brit.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 15 Sep 2014 03:04:34
Message: <54168f82$1@news.povray.org>
> yy yyyy running out
> implement yyy yyyy
> your number is 12 3456
> new number 012 3456

Sure, if you are allowed to change existing numbers you have endless
possibilities. Generally that's avoided though.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 15 Sep 2014 03:05:12
Message: <54168fa8$1@news.povray.org>
> There is a default wait time on phones, where the system decides that
> you've finished dialing, it's about 2-3 seconds, no modification at all
> could be the solution.

I'm pretty sure the UK system has no such concept, you can dial as slow
or fast as you like (within reason) and as soon as you hit the last
digit it connects and rings.

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 15 Sep 2014 03:12:40
Message: <54169168$1@news.povray.org>
> Hence the convention to write down
> international numbers with a "+" instead.

You can also store numbers in your mobile phone with the "+" prefix,
that way it will work wherever you are.

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 15 Sep 2014 14:20:13
Message: <54172ddd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 15.09.2014 09:12, schrieb scott:
>> Hence the convention to write down
>> international numbers with a "+" instead.
>
> You can also store numbers in your mobile phone with the "+" prefix,
> that way it will work wherever you are.

It's actually highly recommended to do it this way.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Sep 2014 17:42:14
Message: <54175d36$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 12:45:41 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 14/09/2014 03:18, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 13 Sep 2014 22:41:56 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>

>>> That's fine by me. I'm taking time off ATM.
>>> I might need consoling after the 19th.
>>
>> Hope everything's OK....
>>

> It won't be for half the country, either way.
>
> Indyref.

Ah, right, I somehow wasn't even thinking about that. ;)

>>> Stephen raising his bottle of Grouse to all and sundry. ;-)
>>
>> Jim raising his bottle as well - currently just water with lemon, at
>> least until the effects of the medication I started last week are known
>> (for hypertension).
>>

> Not too high, I hope.

Actually, quite high.  But it's a lot better now, and the meds are
helping.

Jim