POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2014 13:48:37
Message: <5415d4f5$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2014 16:03, clipka wrote:
> There's an old Danish saying (wrongfully attributed to Niels Bohr, Mark
> Twain and a few others) to be careful about predictions, /especially/
> when they involve the future.

Now I now.

>> I'll throw a German word back to you.
>> Schadenfreude. :-P
>
> Yup, guilty as charged. Mostly concerning the rest of GB though. Will
> they continue to call themselves "Great Britain"(*)?

I don't see how they can. "Great" in this sense means greater. Britain
is the Roman occupied Britannia.

> The "United
> Kingdom" will probably no longer be so united, will it?

Never really was. Wales and Ireland were conquered by England.
Since we would have the same monarch it could still  be called UK United
Kingdom.

> How about the Union Jack,

The Union Flag is its proper name and that would not fit.

> I guess they'll have to deconstruct it.

There has been talk about that.

> Will they have to
> place guards at the Scottish border?

Depends if Scotland has to sign the Schengen agreement if it gets to
join the EU.

> Dismantle their nuclear arsenal?

Now that is something the SNP want. A nuclear free Scotland.
It will be interesting to watch. BTW we use "Schadenfreude" as well. :-)

> And so on.
>
> Of course there are equally interesting questions regarding Scotland,
> especially relating to the EU and the Euro, but they're more of the
> suspense kind, rather than laden with Schadenfreude. To the contrary -
> I'd love to see an independent thriving Scotland teach the rest of GB a
> lesson.

Yeah! Just like the Free State of Ireland did.

> (*) How about "Rump Great Britain" - that would make it "RGB" :-)

In Scotland we never put Green and Blue together. A religious sectarian
joke.

It may not interest anyone to know. All four of my grandparents were
from different countries of the UK. Yip! I'm a True Brit.

--

Regards
     Stephen