POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: clipka
Date: 14 Sep 2014 11:03:13
Message: <5415ae31$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.09.2014 13:35, schrieb Stephen:
> On 14/09/2014 02:46, clipka wrote:

>>> You, wrang ma loon?
>>> Ne'er ;-)
>>

> Sorry.I'll write that in English.

No need to; I got that (after, admittedly, having to look up "loon" to
be sure it means what I thought it meant) :)

>> Me, personally, I think whether Scotland would be better off with a
>> "yes" or "no" is immensely difficult to predict;
>
> That does not stop people from being positive in their ideas.
>
>> and you know what the
>> Danes say about predictions, especially when they pertain to the future.
>
> No I don't? I know what they say about bad weather.
> There is no bad weather only bad clothing.

There's an old Danish saying (wrongfully attributed to Niels Bohr, Mark
Twain and a few others) to be careful about predictions, /especially/
when they involve the future.

>> But I suspect that the rest of GB would fare better with a "no", while I
>> as an outsider would certainly profit from a "yes" result, if only for
>> the added entertainment :-)
>
> I'll throw a German word back to you.
> Schadenfreude. :-P

Yup, guilty as charged. Mostly concerning the rest of GB though. Will
they continue to call themselves "Great Britain"(*)? The "United
Kingdom" will probably no longer be so united, will it? How about the
Union Jack, I guess they'll have to deconstruct it. Will they have to
place guards at the Scottish border? Dismantle their nuclear arsenal?
And so on.

Of course there are equally interesting questions regarding Scotland,
especially relating to the EU and the Euro, but they're more of the
suspense kind, rather than laden with Schadenfreude. To the contrary -
I'd love to see an independent thriving Scotland teach the rest of GB a
lesson.

(*) How about "Rump Great Britain" - that would make it "RGB" :-)