POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Really? : Re: Really? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Really?
From: Stephen
Date: 14 Sep 2014 07:35:40
Message: <54157d8c@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2014 02:46, clipka wrote:
> Am 14.09.2014 02:32, schrieb Stephen:

>>> Just wondering: Would that be in the yes- or the no-case?
>>>
>>> (I have a hunch, but I might be wrong of course.)
>>
>> You, wrang ma loon?
>> Ne'er ;-)

Sorry.I'll write that in English.
You, wrong young man.
Never. <wink)

> Me, personally, I think whether Scotland would be better off with a
> "yes" or "no" is immensely difficult to predict;

That does not stop people from being positive in their ideas.

>and you know what the
> Danes say about predictions, especially when they pertain to the future.

No I don't? I know what they say about bad weather.
There is no bad weather only bad clothing.

> But I suspect that the rest of GB would fare better with a "no", while I
> as an outsider would certainly profit from a "yes" result, if only for
> the added entertainment :-)

I'll throw a German word back to you.
Schadenfreude. :-P

> I've been to the Glasgow, Edinburgh and Southern Uplands region once,
> and had no problems whatsoever understanding the people there.

That's what I would expect. The North East of Scotland is more
influenced by the Scandinavians who often came "first footing" ;-)

> Including
> the guy I had to deal with on the first day, who was indeed wearing a
> kilt at work (and no, he was not in the tourist business, but the head
> of an IT department ;-)).

Ah! the kilt. That well known symbol of lowland and upland dress. </irony>

> That same trip later led me to Middle England;

You probably mean the Midlands. "Middle England" is not geographical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_England

> it was late at night when
> I arrived, and I had to ask for the way, so I did. Well, the guy seemed
> sober enough, but I swear: I did not understand One. Single. Freakin'.
> Word. And I mean that literally.

I believe you. The Birmingham accent has now beaten Glaswegian into
second place for incomprehensibility to Southerners.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brummie#Stereotypes

--

Regards
     Stephen