POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) (Message 6 to 15 of 25)
<<< Previous 5 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky)
Date: 6 Jul 2014 17:08:36
Message: <53b9bad4$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/07/14 22:00, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 20:51:47 +0100, Doctor John wrote:
>
>> What do you call your machines?
>
> Places in the Hitchhiker's Guide universe.  I've been doing that for
> years, but I might have to start recycling them; the PS3 is Alosimanos
> Syneca (which is really too long a name for a system).  That said, there
> are plenty of good candidates I haven't used yet.
>
> My personal laptop has two names - Brequinda when it's running Linux, and
> Bethselamin when it's running Windows.  (Bethselamin doesn't run very
> often).
>
> The desktop is Lamuella.
>
> My server is Krikkit (I've actually reused that name, as I migrated the
> data from one system to another).
>
> My old cell phone is Voondon.  The new one (a Galaxy S5) seemed content
> as "Galaxy" (technically not a named place in H2G2, but it's my naming
> schema, so I'll use it if I like).
>
> The Raspberry Pi is Xaxis.  It's possible the name for the incoming
> Macbook will be Zirzla, but I haven't decided yet (the company names them
> things like "mbp-jhenderson" - at least that's what the one that's being
> replaced is called).
>
> I had used Magrathea at one point, as well as Damogran (though I think
> that was a short-lived system).  Megadodo (while not a place name, still
> a good name) also was a print server at once time (seemed appropriate).
>
> Come to think of it, my tablet doesn't have a name yet.  Shame on me, I
> need to fix that.
>
> Jim

Since you're a little bit H2G2 fixated, how about Majickthize or
Vroomfondel? Not places but it keeps the theme going

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 6 Jul 2014 17:36:16
Message: <53b9c150@news.povray.org>
On 06/07/2014 08:51 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> What do you call your machines?

I name them according to the colour of the casing. The hostname of the
PC I'm using to write this is BLACKBOX, due to the black Antec 100 case.
My laptop is named BLACKSLAB, and my obsolete laptop used to be named
SILVERSLAB. (Now I should imagine it's called linux-38247, or whatever
the default Ubuntu hostname is...)

Post a reply to this message