POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) : Re: Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky)
From: andrel
Date: 6 Jul 2014 17:36:49
Message: <53B9C142.9070906@gmail.com>
On 6-7-2014 22:32, Doctor John wrote:
> On 06/07/14 21:21, andrel wrote:
>> They have Maori names for animals, computers are birds (takahe, pateke,
>> kakariki, korora) and my external harddisk is called tuatara
>>

> That I like.

me too ;)
BTW I made ceramic versions of some of them:
http://bytehouwer.nl/visitekaart/takahe.jpg
http://bytehouwer.nl/visitekaart/korora.jpg
http://bytehouwer.nl/visitekaart/tuatara.jpg

didn't find time for a duck and a small parror yet.

>> The photographers in the hospital were in building K on level 2 so
>> obviously they named there machines after mountains (K2, Fuji)
>>
>> Nordic gods and godesses were used for the big machines in my former
>> department 20 years ago.
>>

> I knew I stole the idea from somewhere :-)

watch out when you are stealing from the gods.

>> Slightly related: I am trying to get my student to name the amplifier he
>> made. That would make referring so much easier. (one of the propositions
>> with my thesis was that every machine that is worth referring to has to
>> have a name)
>>

> How about 'turituri'? Maori for noise

Not that sort of amplifier. One for microelectrodes, used for patching
cells. Output is connected to a VCO, but it does not amplify or create
sound itself

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.