POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) : Re: Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:26:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Naming schemas (or schemata if you're picky)
From: andrel
Date: 7 Jul 2014 12:52:06
Message: <53BAD032.8000605@gmail.com>
Thinking about your question, I now remember the old scheme for our own
computers 20-15 years ago. Inspired by Don Knuth they got names that
started with 'gn' gnu,gneiss,gnome,gnarl, our boss (who was and is
member of the board of http://mnuurwerk.nl/en/ ) obviously got 'gnomon'.
We had a little machine that circumvented something (that I pretend to
have forgotten), that was named 'gniffel', dutch for snicker.
When we had to name the machines at home too, my student (later
co-worker and possibly soon my boss) who had 'gnu' at work named his
'wildebeest'. I had already 'takahe' so to keep in the spirit his
outside name became 'takkebeest'. (any other dutch people out there that
can translate that?)

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.