POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Keyboard problem Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:35:52 EDT (-0400)
  Keyboard problem (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: scott
Subject: Keyboard problem
Date: 3 Jul 2014 10:28:03
Message: <53b56873@news.povray.org>
This must be one of strangest problems I've come across. Sometimes the
"r" key does not work - every other key works fine. However, as soon as
I enter a single "r" using Alt+114 the "r" key itself comes back to life
and works perfectly. I have no idea what could be causing this strange
behaviour, but it seems more like a software/driver issue rather than
hardware.

Post a reply to this message

> This must be one of strangest problems I've come across. Sometimes the
> "r" key does not work - every other key works fine. However, as soon as
> I enter a single "r" using Alt+114 the "r" key itself comes back to life
> and works perfectly. I have no idea what could be causing this strange
> behaviour, but it seems more like a software/driver issue rather than
> hardware.

you have, of course, used a different keyboard on the machine and also
used the first keyboard on a different machine.

But, as you imply, weird.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

>> This must be one of strangest problems I've come across. Sometimes the
>> "r" key does not work - every other key works fine. However, as soon as
>> I enter a single "r" using Alt+114 the "r" key itself comes back to life
>> and works perfectly. I have no idea what could be causing this strange
>> behaviour, but it seems more like a software/driver issue rather than
>> hardware.
>
> you have, of course, used a different keyboard on the machine and also
> used the first keyboard on a different machine.

Update: I think the problem only started since the keyboard was plugged
into the monitor's internal USB hub (I'd moved it here to tidy up some
wires under my desk). The r stopped working approximately 25% of the
time after the PC puts the monitor to sleep and then I wake it back up
again. However I moved it to the next USB socket on the monitor, then
back to the first and I can't recreate it anymore in either socket...
Maybe it's just Windows telling me I need to restart my machine after 17
days?

Post a reply to this message

> Update: I think the problem only started since the keyboard was plugged
> into the monitor's internal USB hub (I'd moved it here to tidy up some
> wires under my desk). The r stopped working approximately 25% of the
> time after the PC puts the monitor to sleep and then I wake it back up
> again. However I moved it to the next USB socket on the monitor, then
> back to the first and I can't recreate it anymore in either socket...
> Maybe it's just Windows telling me I need to restart my machine after 17
> days?

There you go.
"Have you tried switching it off then on again" :-D

John

On 04/07/2014 12:31 PM, Doctor John wrote:
> On 04/07/14 07:50, scott wrote:
>> Update: I think the problem only started since the keyboard was plugged
>> into the monitor's internal USB hub (I'd moved it here to tidy up some
>> wires under my desk). The r stopped working approximately 25% of the
>> time after the PC puts the monitor to sleep and then I wake it back up
>> again. However I moved it to the next USB socket on the monitor, then
>> back to the first and I can't recreate it anymore in either socket...
>> Maybe it's just Windows telling me I need to restart my machine after 17
>> days?
>>

> There you go.
> "Have you tried switching it off then on again" :-D

Tisk! Tisk! Power Off Reset, if you please. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> On 04/07/2014 12:31 PM, Doctor John wrote:
>> On 04/07/14 07:50, scott wrote:
>>> Update: I think the problem only started since the keyboard was plugged
>>> into the monitor's internal USB hub (I'd moved it here to tidy up some
>>> wires under my desk). The r stopped working approximately 25% of the
>>> time after the PC puts the monitor to sleep and then I wake it back up
>>> again. However I moved it to the next USB socket on the monitor, then
>>> back to the first and I can't recreate it anymore in either socket...
>>> Maybe it's just Windows telling me I need to restart my machine after 17
>>> days?
>>>

>> There you go.
>> "Have you tried switching it off then on again" :-D
>>

> Tisk! Tisk! Power Off Reset, if you please. ;-)

In German, we say: "Hilft es nicht im Guten, musst du einmal booten."

Loosely translated: "If it won't be good, you have to make it boot."

Post a reply to this message

>>> "Have you tried switching it off then on again" :-D
>>>

>> Tisk! Tisk! Power Off Reset, if you please. ;-)
>
> In German, we say: "Hilft es nicht im Guten, musst du einmal booten."
>
> Loosely translated: "If it won't be good, you have to make it boot."

How very interesting.
That is similar to our:
"If in doubt, give it a clout."
(Affirmative action by TV repairmen. The world over. :-) )

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message