POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : google trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:13:29 EDT (-0400)
  google trouble (Message 1 to 10 of 31)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: google trouble
Date: 29 May 2014 04:26:38
Message: <5386ef3e$1@news.povray.org>
For the second time within a couple of months I get a strange problem
with google. Last month it just stopped by itself after a few days, now
I don't know.

- It starts with my firewall refusing access to:
http://tools.google.com/service/update2?
which is followed by a long string of (changing) characters.

- It tells me that the it is blocked by internal black list.

- It concerns the x86 program file Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

- the user given is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

- Access to google is blocked.

- The people from the antivirus/firewall company I buy from had no clue
about what happened.

- no virus or other malware is active on my machine.

Any idea what this could be?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 29/05/14 09:26, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> For the second time within a couple of months I get a strange problem
> with google. Last month it just stopped by itself after a few days, now
> I don't know.
>
> - It starts with my firewall refusing access to:
> http://tools.google.com/service/update2?
> which is followed by a long string of (changing) characters.
>
> - It tells me that the it is blocked by internal black list.
>
> - It concerns the x86 program file Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
>
> - the user given is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>
> - Access to google is blocked.
>
> - The people from the antivirus/firewall company I buy from had no clue
> about what happened.
>
> - no virus or other malware is active on my machine.
>
> Any idea what this could be?
>
> Thomas

Oh, bugger! Not good.

1. First see if you can access Google using one of these:
	64.233.160.0 - 64.233.191.255
	66.102.0.0 - 66.102.15.255
	66.249.64.0 - 66.249.95.255
	72.14.192.0 - 72.14.255.255
	74.125.0.0 - 74.125.255.255
	209.85.128.0 - 209.85.255.255
	216.239.32.0 - 216.239.63.255
In general, one of these ranges should work. If you can access Google
this way, then:

2. Check your HOSTS file using Notepad.exe or some other plain text
editor. HOSTS has no extension and can be found in the
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. Don't forget to make hidden and
system files visible first.
If there is any line containing google.com, delete it and save.
Restart your machine and try to access Google in the normal manner.

Report back with the results

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

Indeed. Thanks John for attempting the rescue.

> 1. First see if you can access Google using one of these:
> 	64.233.160.0 - 64.233.191.255
> 	66.102.0.0 - 66.102.15.255
> 	66.249.64.0 - 66.249.95.255
> 	72.14.192.0 - 72.14.255.255
> 	74.125.0.0 - 74.125.255.255
> 	209.85.128.0 - 209.85.255.255
> 	216.239.32.0 - 216.239.63.255
> In general, one of these ranges should work. If you can access Google
> this way, then:

None of the ranges connect to Google. :-(

> 2. Check your HOSTS file using Notepad.exe or some other plain text
> editor. HOSTS has no extension and can be found in the
> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. Don't forget to make hidden and
> system files visible first.
> If there is any line containing google.com, delete it and save.
> Restart your machine and try to access Google in the normal manner.

I checked nonetheless and found no mention of google.com in the hosts
file. Only general comments on use. To be complete, I checked the other
files in the folder and no google.com mentioned.

> Report back with the results

Well, here I am ;-)
Maybe of no importance: Win7, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. All using
latest updates etc as far as I know.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 29/05/14 12:46, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 29-5-2014 13:13, Doctor John wrote:
>> Oh, bugger! Not good.
>
> Indeed. Thanks John for attempting the rescue.
>

>> 1. First see if you can access Google using one of these:
>>     64.233.160.0 - 64.233.191.255
>>     66.102.0.0 - 66.102.15.255
>>     66.249.64.0 - 66.249.95.255
>>     72.14.192.0 - 72.14.255.255
>>     74.125.0.0 - 74.125.255.255
>>     209.85.128.0 - 209.85.255.255
>>     216.239.32.0 - 216.239.63.255
>> In general, one of these ranges should work. If you can access Google
>> this way, then:
>
> None of the ranges connect to Google. :-(
>

>> 2. Check your HOSTS file using Notepad.exe or some other plain text
>> editor. HOSTS has no extension and can be found in the
>> C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. Don't forget to make hidden and
>> system files visible first.
>> If there is any line containing google.com, delete it and save.
>> Restart your machine and try to access Google in the normal manner.
>
> I checked nonetheless and found no mention of google.com in the hosts
> file. Only general comments on use. To be complete, I checked the other
> files in the folder and no google.com mentioned.
>

>> Report back with the results
>
> Well, here I am ;-)
> Maybe of no importance: Win7, Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. All using
> latest updates etc as far as I know.
>
> Thomas

Check your router. Without knowing its make, it's hard to give general
instructions but try to find a blocked sites list.
If you can't do that, can you borrow another machine which you can
connect through your router?

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents
You hold it in trust for your children

Post a reply to this message

Le 29/05/2014 10:26, Thomas de Groot nous fit lire :
> For the second time within a couple of months I get a strange problem
> with google. Last month it just stopped by itself after a few days, now
> I don't know.
>
> - It starts with my firewall refusing access to:
> http://tools.google.com/service/update2?
> which is followed by a long string of (changing) characters.
>
> - It tells me that the it is blocked by internal black list.
>
> - It concerns the x86 program file Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
>
> - the user given is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>
> - Access to google is blocked.
>
> - The people from the antivirus/firewall company I buy from had no clue
> about what happened.
>
> - no virus or other malware is active on my machine.
>
> Any idea what this could be?
>
> Thomas

Lot of programs from google come with a global updater (as soon as you
install one, it will be there). GoogleUpdate.exe is calling home... to
get update and maybe providing user-information...
(Indeed, even if you desinstall every google programs, the google
updater might remain until some later stage (week or month).)

The antivirus/firewall might have classified the "home" as unsafe
(especially if google is not that strict about respecting the right of
the users; and if the black list is filled by other users).

Is it really unsafe ?
Do you really want to trust Google about big data ?

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message

> Check your router. Without knowing its make, it's hard to give general
> instructions but try to find a blocked sites list.
> If you can't do that, can you borrow another machine which you can
> connect through your router?

I am going to investigate.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 29/05/14 13:19, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 29-5-2014 14:09, Doctor John wrote:
>
>> Check your router. Without knowing its make, it's hard to give general
>> instructions but try to find a blocked sites list.
>> If you can't do that, can you borrow another machine which you can
>> connect through your router?
>>

> I am going to investigate.
>
> Thomas

BTW If you want to, skype me using my firstname.surname

From: Doctor John
Date: 29 May 2014 09:27:09
Message: <538735ad$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/05/14 13:13, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> Is it really unsafe ?
> Do you really want to trust Google about big data ?

There is a fundamental problem with the 'net. If we leave it open then
we allow anyone (not just Google) to reap our data (encrypted or not).
If we restrict it, then we lose the interconnectivity that Tim
Berners-Lee and his predecessors envisaged.
As I see it, it's not a problem of trust but a problem of
self-censorship; if you don't want someone to access some data about
you, don't use the 'net to communicate it.

John

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 May 2014 09:37:46
Message: <5387382a$1@news.povray.org>

> For the second time within a couple of months I get a strange problem
> with google. Last month it just stopped by itself after a few days, now
> I don't know.
>
> - It starts with my firewall refusing access to:
> http://tools.google.com/service/update2?
> which is followed by a long string of (changing) characters.
>
> - It tells me that the it is blocked by internal black list.

Please post exact error message, even if it's in Dutch, Swahili or Klingon.

> - It concerns the x86 program file Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe

Find the file in question and check its digital signature (right-click
properties, etc, etc...)

Mine has a valid verisign certificate issued in 2008.  If yours does
not, it was probably hijacked by some malware.  Delete it from your system.

> - the user given is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>
> - Access to google is blocked.

All access to google, or just access to the tools.google.com url?

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 May 2014 10:02:58
Message: <53873e12$1@news.povray.org>
Le 29/05/2014 15:26, Doctor John nous fit lire :
> On 29/05/14 13:13, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>
>> Is it really unsafe ?
>> Do you really want to trust Google about big data ?
>>

> There is a fundamental problem with the 'net. If we leave it open then
> we allow anyone (not just Google) to reap our data (encrypted or not).
> If we restrict it, then we lose the interconnectivity that Tim
> Berners-Lee and his predecessors envisaged.
> As I see it, it's not a problem of trust but a problem of
> self-censorship; if you don't want someone to access some data about
> you, don't use the 'net to communicate it.

I disagree. Open is not the problem, it's the solution.
Google is not open. My data are that: "Mine". Until i openly grant
someone access to my habit on my system, nobody should try to read it.
But that's not the approach of the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.
"Better apologize than ask permission" is a strong step to try and build
a project. But that's just plain wrong with privacy.

For once, I'm ok with the Dilbert solution (1998 May 07):
> http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1998-05-07/

I just have weak hands... and who could seize google's ankles ?

Later version...
> http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2004-05-31/

I want a life of sheep, but I won't make a treaty with wolves.