POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : google trouble : Re: google trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: google trouble
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 May 2014 08:13:59
Message: <53872487$1@news.povray.org>
Le 29/05/2014 10:26, Thomas de Groot nous fit lire :
> For the second time within a couple of months I get a strange problem
> with google. Last month it just stopped by itself after a few days, now
> I don't know.
>
> - It starts with my firewall refusing access to:
> http://tools.google.com/service/update2?
> which is followed by a long string of (changing) characters.
>
> - It tells me that the it is blocked by internal black list.
>
> - It concerns the x86 program file Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
>
> - the user given is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>
> - Access to google is blocked.
>
> - The people from the antivirus/firewall company I buy from had no clue
> about what happened.
>
> - no virus or other malware is active on my machine.
>
> Any idea what this could be?
>
> Thomas

Lot of programs from google come with a global updater (as soon as you
install one, it will be there). GoogleUpdate.exe is calling home... to
get update and maybe providing user-information...
(Indeed, even if you desinstall every google programs, the google
updater might remain until some later stage (week or month).)

The antivirus/firewall might have classified the "home" as unsafe
(especially if google is not that strict about respecting the right of
the users; and if the black list is filled by other users).

Is it really unsafe ?
Do you really want to trust Google about big data ?

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)