POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : google trouble : Re: google trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:27:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: google trouble
From: Doctor John
Date: 29 May 2014 07:13:24
Message: <53871654$1@news.povray.org>
On 29/05/14 09:26, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> For the second time within a couple of months I get a strange problem
> with google. Last month it just stopped by itself after a few days, now
> I don't know.
>
> - It starts with my firewall refusing access to:
> http://tools.google.com/service/update2?
> which is followed by a long string of (changing) characters.
>
> - It tells me that the it is blocked by internal black list.
>
> - It concerns the x86 program file Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
>
> - the user given is NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
>
> - Access to google is blocked.
>
> - The people from the antivirus/firewall company I buy from had no clue
> about what happened.
>
> - no virus or other malware is active on my machine.
>
> Any idea what this could be?
>
> Thomas

Oh, bugger! Not good.

1. First see if you can access Google using one of these:
	64.233.160.0 - 64.233.191.255
	66.102.0.0 - 66.102.15.255
	66.249.64.0 - 66.249.95.255
	72.14.192.0 - 72.14.255.255
	74.125.0.0 - 74.125.255.255
	209.85.128.0 - 209.85.255.255
	216.239.32.0 - 216.239.63.255
In general, one of these ranges should work. If you can access Google
this way, then:

2. Check your HOSTS file using Notepad.exe or some other plain text
editor. HOSTS has no extension and can be found in the
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder. Don't forget to make hidden and
system files visible first.
If there is any line containing google.com, delete it and save.
Restart your machine and try to access Google in the normal manner.

Report back with the results

John
--
Protect the Earth