POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : google trouble Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  google trouble (Message 21 to 30 of 31)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: google trouble
Date: 30 May 2014 03:43:55
Message: <538836bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 29-5-2014 14:09, Doctor John wrote:

> Check your router. Without knowing its make, it's hard to give general
> instructions but try to find a blocked sites list.
> If you can't do that, can you borrow another machine which you can
> connect through your router?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 30 May 2014 06:58:09
Message: <53886441$1@news.povray.org>

http://tools.google.com/service/update2?w=6:OB0uOgy6aOiP05eNOkxg0Gm7_R7kgeODhPDFhAaRltfunxs0_0rKhfA4L-M3jT0Y2jYobBuNPd20b7RbKqNZ9RFZXsviIt0YlWSQ4ElJ785idYyaM2hkVE9B1_Vb4dsT8kTsO6eB-Qi-LLD6DbnQKXRPycbUFtF1atiNJlu7-lzHJy_gUPOt1W9xGWV9KieBmTptKbLCq0oY9Dm1vOIl_nj4cJRSNtSOgb46iy1Y-G0gvHu3hZ7JNqcgFeiZznXH-wM-vMzGDZPcxqMPixjTe_VG3yqDUWpSzo_h1lVdrDgY2_JxPRT8a4Kn3aXVwOU9GX8pQ9sDBEBkPP7VOPzUWw
> Geblokkeerd door interne zwarte lijst    C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe    NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

What exactly is "it"?

>>> - It concerns the x86 program file Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
>>
>> Find the file in question and check its digital signature (right-click
>> properties, etc, etc...)
>>
>> Mine has a valid verisign certificate issued in 2008.  If yours does
>> not, it was probably hijacked by some malware.  Delete it from your
>> system.
>
> It has a verisign certificate valid from 2007 to 2010.

Then technically it does not have a valid certificate, as it has expired.

> IT seems to me that either google is blocked at the firewall but I have
> yet been able to find where the mentioned 'black list' is hidden, or
> firefox is blocking google.

I'd guess it's the former. Remedy of course strongly depends on what
firewall you are using.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 May 2014 07:10:40
Message: <53886730$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-5-2014 12:57, clipka wrote:
> What exactly is "it"?

The log of filtered websites in the antivirus/firewall system.

> Then technically it does not have a valid certificate, as it has expired.

I suppose so. Interestingly, I bought the PC and installed Firefox - and
thus google - in 2011.

> I'd guess it's the former. Remedy of course strongly depends on what
> firewall you are using.

Yes, and I am going to try something which was suggested by the ESET
forum concerning google chrome (ESET being the antivirus/firewall
company, last year tested as best in NL)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 30 May 2014 07:22:44
Message: <53886a04$1@news.povray.org>
Am 30.05.2014 12:57, schrieb clipka:

>> IT seems to me that either google is blocked at the firewall but I have
>> yet been able to find where the mentioned 'black list' is hidden, or
>> firefox is blocking google.
>
> I'd guess it's the former. Remedy of course strongly depends on what
> firewall you are using.

Sorry, didn't notice the attached image until after the post.

It might be related to an ESET feature called "temporary IP address
blacklist", which can be viewed (and hopefully edited) in the "setup"
section of ESET ("view temporary IP address blacklist" in the English
edition).

(No, I have no experience whatsoever with ESET; I just did a bit of
googling.)

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 May 2014 08:30:26
Message: <538879e2$1@news.povray.org>
On 30-5-2014 13:22, clipka wrote:
> It might be related to an ESET feature called "temporary IP address
> blacklist", which can be viewed (and hopefully edited) in the "setup"
> section of ESET ("view temporary IP address blacklist" in the English
> edition).

I thought so too but alas, the blacklist is empty!

So I tried to /exclude/ the google updater from filtering ( as suggested
by the forum: no change.

I am a bit out of ideas at the moment... :-(

> (No, I have no experience whatsoever with ESET; I just did a bit of
> googling.)

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 30 May 2014 08:38:32
Message: <53887bc8@news.povray.org>
Am 30.05.2014 14:30, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 30-5-2014 13:22, clipka wrote:
>> It might be related to an ESET feature called "temporary IP address
>> blacklist", which can be viewed (and hopefully edited) in the "setup"
>> section of ESET ("view temporary IP address blacklist" in the English
>> edition).
>
> I thought so too but alas, the blacklist is empty!
>
> So I tried to /exclude/ the google updater from filtering ( as suggested
> by the forum: no change.
>
> I am a bit out of ideas at the moment... :-(

Well, you'd think that /somebody/ at ESET should know what this
"internal blacklist" is, so I'd probably try to bother them again.

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 May 2014 09:56:53
Message: <53888e25@news.povray.org>
On 30-5-2014 14:38, clipka wrote:

> Well, you'd think that /somebody/ at ESET should know what this
> "internal blacklist" is, so I'd probably try to bother them again.

Which I am certainly going to do!

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 30 May 2014 10:04:37
Message: <53888ff5$1@news.povray.org>
By the way, there was a wrong attachment with this post but never mind.
Apparently from that one even (automatically) junked e-mails containing
shit can leave a trace...

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 30 May 2014 10:26:11
Message: <53889503$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2014-05-29 17:28, Doctor John a écrit :
> On 29/05/14 19:01, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>
>> The DMCA (and the RIAA and similar) do not agree with you and had its
>> way to the law. Information is property, even if immaterial.
>> Same with patent (and patent-troll). That's the law, you can have it
>> changed but you have to live in its current version.
>>

> Sorry, I live in the UK. US legislation is not applicable here. Note
> also that that within this legislation area there is no such thing as
> software copyright.
>
>> Have you no problem with that remote-camera in your dressing and your
>> bathroom ? We also connected your toilet. It's just information. (and we
>> sell it to your insurance company and tailor... your bank is also
>> interested in your health analysis from the pattern of the flush on the
>> toilet).
>
> What? Get real not paranoid.

Big Data is here, and will only get worse.

Smart thermostats that detect when you walk in a room and automatically
turn up the heat or AC?  You betcha they keep stats and upload them to
the Mothership.  Now these are using wifi to talk to one another, and
since the GoogleMobile conveniently recorded the SSID of all the wifi
networks it saw, it know exactly where in the world this person is, and
now it knows their personal habits:  when they wake up, at what time
they leave the house, when they come back, at what time they go in the
kitchen, where they spend their evening, at what time they go to bed.

Andy used to be a single who spent most evenings in his bedroom
(probably playing computer games), but now on Fridays, he comes home
form work and spends a long time in the bathroom, then leaves and comes
back late and goes straight to bed, and spends his saturday afternoons
in the kitchen, and evenings in the living room.  Combine this with the
fact that his Netflix queue preference has moved from historical WWII
movies to romcoms, you only need a little analytics engine to start
making correlations and soon enough, you'll be able to figure out that
he's got a new girlfriend, so you can start showing him jewelry ads...

Insurance companies are pushing to install black boxes in their
customers' cars to record their driving habits and reward good drivers
with lower premiums.  While they say they're not GPS-equipped, they do
come with accelerometers in order to see if you drive like a maniac or
not, and since insurance companies have to know where you live, using
only acceleration data, and GIS data they can figure out which roads you
take to work everyday, where you go for entertainment or shopping.  Oh!
By the way, Officer Smith just subpoenaed this information as part of
his investigation into your ex-girlfriend's disappearance.

Some utility companies have started installing smartmeters that can
charge different rates based on the time of day, and also record your
electricity usage.  Thes utility companies are trying to to push to have
the means to selectively turn off appliances during high demand hours.
Kid just threw up on the dining room table, 1 hour before the In-Laws
arrived for Mother's day brunch and you want to wash it?  "HAL! Open the
washing machine door!
- I'm sorry Dave! I'm afraid I can't do that."

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 30 May 2014 10:28:11
Message: <5388957b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2014-05-29 18:38, Stephen a écrit :
> To give my tu'pence worth.
>

> I remember my old Grannie (long dead now) saying:
> "Never write anything you don't want everyone to read."
> She was right. As long as human nature is human nature, someone will
> have something to hide and someone will want to know it.
> Open source is a wonderful idea for a perfect world. I commend it. But
> until we develop telepathy. Forget it. There will always be someone
> trying to screw you over.
> It distresses me the way people display their lives on "Social Media"
> what ever the feck that means.
> As John Brunner, wrote: "The Sheep Look Up"
>
> Phew! I got that off my chest. :-D

In the early 90s, when the internet was barely an infant, in my
university's computer lab, there was a big sign on the wall that said
something like:

"Don't say anything on newsgroups or IRC that you aren't willing to
repeat in front of a judge, with your family in the audience!"

<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 1 Messages >>>