POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : That was fun - not Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  That was fun - not (Message 31 to 40 of 40)
From: scott
Subject: Re: That was fun - not
Date: 17 Mar 2014 09:47:39
Message: <5326fcfb$1@news.povray.org>
> Try 'ping -i 60 www.google.com >> pingfile.txt'

In the end I set up a small script to output the date/time and then the
result of 5 pings, this then gets run every minute by cron. I then wrote
a small C# program on my windows box to grab the log from the pi and
process it into CSV format for general graphing and analysis in Excel.
It's only a few regex's but my Linux knowledge is limited so would have
spent hours trying to do it on the pi. Also my BT modem handily has a
USB socket on the back which I can power the pi from, so it's all pretty
neat.

As you can imagine though there were no errors at all since Friday
evening when I got it running. 1 ping was not received out of about 15k
sent, and the response times were all pretty normal. BT did indeed phone
back when they promised (I even got a text to remind me) but of course
their comment was that the line is stable. I did persuade them to carry
on their "test" for another 5 days, I hope it breaks during this time.

Post a reply to this message

> In the end I set up a small script to output the date/time and then the
> result of 5 pings, this then gets run every minute by cron. I then wrote
> a small C# program on my windows box to grab the log from the pi and
> process it into CSV format for general graphing and analysis in Excel.
> It's only a few regex's but my Linux knowledge is limited so would have
> spent hours trying to do it on the pi. Also my BT modem handily has a
> USB socket on the back which I can power the pi from, so it's all pretty
> neat.

That's one way of doing it. ;-)

> As you can imagine though there were no errors at all since Friday
> evening when I got it running. 1 ping was not received out of about 15k
> sent, and the response times were all pretty normal. BT did indeed phone
> back when they promised (I even got a text to remind me) but of course
> their comment was that the line is stable. I did persuade them to carry
> on their "test" for another 5 days, I hope it breaks during this time.

I'm amazed you managed to persuade them to carry on testing for another
5 days. I'm not sure whether to hope it does break or whether to hope
that an intermittent fault has fixed itself.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

> In the end I set up a small script to output the date/time and then the
> result of 5 pings, this then gets run every minute by cron. I then wrote
> a small C# program on my windows box to grab the log from the pi and
> process it into CSV format for general graphing and analysis in Excel.
> It's only a few regex's but my Linux knowledge is limited so would have
> spent hours trying to do it on the pi. Also my BT modem handily has a
> USB socket on the back which I can power the pi from, so it's all pretty
> neat.

At my last place, I ended up writing a small Tcl/Tk script to do more or
less the same thing (but with trippy statistics like standard
deviation). I also wrote a script to do trace-route against half a dozen
Internet hosts so if the link went down, I could tell where it went
down. (Half the problem with spotting fault behaviour is knowing what
normal behaviour looks like.)

And then our HQ IT guys blocked all ICMP traffic at the firewall, and
all my hard work was rendered useless. Thanks, guys.

Post a reply to this message

On 17/03/2014 06:38 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> And then our HQ IT guys blocked all ICMP traffic at the firewall, and
> all my hard work was rendered useless. Thanks, guys.

Why no, I'm not still bitter about my last job. Why do you ask?

Post a reply to this message

On 17/03/2014 6:42 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 17/03/2014 06:38 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> And then our HQ IT guys blocked all ICMP traffic at the firewall, and
>> all my hard work was rendered useless. Thanks, guys.
>
> Why no, I'm not still bitter about my last job. Why do you ask?

Because being undervalued is embittering?

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 20:04:58 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 17/03/2014 6:42 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> On 17/03/2014 06:38 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> And then our HQ IT guys blocked all ICMP traffic at the firewall, and
>>> all my hard work was rendered useless. Thanks, guys.
>>
>> Why no, I'm not still bitter about my last job. Why do you ask?
>
> Because being undervalued is embittering?

Absolutely.

Jim