POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:21:17 EDT (-0400)
  Where is the world going? (Message 120 to 129 of 199)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Where is the world going?
Date: 22 Sep 2013 14:56:46
Message: <523f3d6e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:18:21 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 21/09/2013 8:10 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:11:47 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

>> Indeed.  Douglas Adams had a theory about that:
>>

> Pity, he did not have a theory about keeping deadlines.

:)

Well, he sort of did, but it had to do more with the noise they made as
they went past. :)

>> "Anything that is in the world when you're born is normal and ordinary
>> and is just a natural part of the way the world works. Anything that's
>> invented between when you're fifteen and thirty-five is new and
>> exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
>> Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order
>> of things."
>>

> It sounds like a good theory but I don't really think that it cuts the
> mustard.

Well, like I said, the ages involved perhaps aren't accurate for
everyone, but for a large number of people, I think this makes a lot of
sense.

>> I'm now 43 (as of a couple weeks ago)
>
> Belated happy birthday.

Thanks!

>> - I think the ages aren't necessarily set in stone, but in principle,
>> this makes sense.  You eventually get to the point where keeping up is
>> too much of a bother, and
>
> Yes, but at midlife?

Well, like I said, it depends on the person.  I know some people who hit
that "35" point much earlier, and some who hit it much later.  I think
the point isn't so much the specific values, but that this happens to
pretty much everyone at some point.

> I've reached the stage where keeping up with domestic computer tech is
> too much bother. I don't think that it is because I'm nearing retirement
> age but that the effort is not worth the return. Especially, when
> changes are done more in the spirit of selling new products rather than
> for innovative functionality.

Another Adams quote applies:

"We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that
works."

>> things were "always" better "back in the old days". :)
>>

> I see the smiley. And I hear it often.

Yup.

> It falls into two categories, IMO.
> Life was better when I was young, people were better educated, more
> polite and had time for others. Better quality of life etc.
> And: Technology is too complicated, things were better when you could
> understand how they worked. Such as a baud rate of 9600, RAM memory 640
> kB. Cars that did not have ABS, seat belts, crumple zones. I cold go on.

Both situations are true - but I think it also is a trick the mind plays
by idealizing the past as well.  I hear this sort of thing, for example,
said by pundits here talking about how much better things were back when
they were kids.  But the average American kid back in the 70s (or
earlier) wasn't exposed to all the world's problems unless they were on a
very huge scale.  So memories of the time tend to be far more idyllic
than the actual time.

> I've heard it since I was a kid and if you extrapolate backwards...

:)

>> One of a couple things my parents did when I was a kid that drove me
>> crazy. Another was deciding when the one TV programme I wanted to watch
>> that day was on that *that* was the time I needed to be told to go
>> clean my room/take out the trash/whatever. 30 or 60 minutes later
>> wasn't good enough, it had to be done *right then*.
>>
>> Before we had a VCR, it was even worse.
>>

> As long as you didn't repeat their mistakes.

I made a conscious effort not to.  I'm happy to say that our kid is
pretty well adjusted, too. ;)

Post a reply to this message

On 22/09/2013 7:56 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:18:21 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

>> Pity, he did not have a theory about keeping deadlines.
>
> :)
>
> Well, he sort of did, but it had to do more with the noise they made as
> they went past. :)

Woosh! ;-)

>> It sounds like a good theory but I don't really think that it cuts the
>> mustard.
>
> Well, like I said, the ages involved perhaps aren't accurate for
> everyone, but for a large number of people, I think this makes a lot of
> sense.

Very few of the people I know are like that.
But I won't argue, for once. :-)

>>> - I think the ages aren't necessarily set in stone, but in principle,
>>> this makes sense.  You eventually get to the point where keeping up is
>>> too much of a bother, and
>>
>> Yes, but at midlife?
>
> Well, like I said, it depends on the person.  I know some people who hit
> that "35" point much earlier, and some who hit it much later.  I think
> the point isn't so much the specific values, but that this happens to
> pretty much everyone at some point.

I am a fairy and my name is Nuff.

Fairy Nuff. ;-)

> Another Adams quote applies:
>
> "We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff that
> works."

True.

>> It falls into two categories, IMO.
>> Life was better when I was young, people were better educated, more
>> polite and had time for others. Better quality of life etc.
>> And: Technology is too complicated, things were better when you could
>> understand how they worked. Such as a baud rate of 9600, RAM memory 640
>> kB. Cars that did not have ABS, seat belts, crumple zones. I cold go on.
>
> Both situations are true - but I think it also is a trick the mind plays
> by idealizing the past as well.

I think that is the crux of the matter.

> I hear this sort of thing, for example,
> said by pundits here talking about how much better things were back when
> they were kids.

Somehow some people think that most people want to hear that. I could be
wrong and I was, once before. ;-)

> But the average American kid back in the 70s (or
> earlier) wasn't exposed to all the world's problems unless they were on a
> very huge scale.

For a start most kids don't pay attention to what is going on outside
their own environment. And I get the feeling that most Americans are
quite insular, happy to live in their own world. (No offence intended.)

> So memories of the time tend to be far more idyllic
> than the actual time.

Indeed, it is only looking back on my childhood, with the eyes of an
adult who has travelled. That I see I was brought up in a deprived area
and time. Then The sixties and seventies were upon us. And swinging
Britain made everything groovy.

>> As long as you didn't repeat their mistakes.
>
> I made a conscious effort not to.  I'm happy to say that our kid is
> pretty well adjusted, too. ;)

:-D

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:30:43 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 22/09/2013 7:56 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:18:21 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>

>>> Pity, he did not have a theory about keeping deadlines.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Well, he sort of did, but it had to do more with the noise they made as
>> they went past. :)
>>

> Woosh! ;-)

Yup.  The quote is actually etched into the glass of the returns desk at
our local library. :)

>>> It sounds like a good theory but I don't really think that it cuts the
>>> mustard.
>>
>> Well, like I said, the ages involved perhaps aren't accurate for
>> everyone, but for a large number of people, I think this makes a lot of
>> sense.
>>

> Very few of the people I know are like that.
> But I won't argue, for once. :-)

Awww, that's no fun. ;)

>>> Yes, but at midlife?
>>
>> Well, like I said, it depends on the person.  I know some people who
>> hit that "35" point much earlier, and some who hit it much later.  I
>> think the point isn't so much the specific values, but that this
>> happens to pretty much everyone at some point.
>>

> I am a fairy and my name is Nuff.
>
> Fairy Nuff. ;-)

:)

>> Another Adams quote applies:
>>
>> "We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff
>> that works."
>>

> True.

Based on that, I can respect (even if I don't agree with) his decision to
use Macs. ;)

>> I hear this sort of thing, for example,
>> said by pundits here talking about how much better things were back
>> when they were kids.
>
> Somehow some people think that most people want to hear that. I could be
> wrong and I was, once before. ;-)

LOL

>> But the average American kid back in the 70s (or earlier) wasn't
>> exposed to all the world's problems unless they were on a very huge
>> scale.
>
> For a start most kids don't pay attention to what is going on outside
> their own environment. And I get the feeling that most Americans are
> quite insular, happy to live in their own world. (No offence intended.)

Exactly.  And yeah, no offense taken - I see this with a lot of people I
interact with over here - the only thing that matters is them, not the
other people around them.

It's less common amongst liberals, I think, than conservatives.  The
irony is that many conservatives claim to be Christian, but then do
things like cut foot stamp programs because they help those "freeloading
poor people".  Yeah, because living high on the hog when you're poor is
*so* great.

>> So memories of the time tend to be far more idyllic than the actual
>> time.
>>

> Indeed, it is only looking back on my childhood, with the eyes of an
> adult who has travelled. That I see I was brought up in a deprived area
> and time. Then The sixties and seventies were upon us. And swinging
> Britain made everything groovy.

One of the most eye-opening experiences I had was going to Moscow when I
was 17.  Seeing that people there were essentially the same as people
here really colored my worldview about the difference between people and
politicians/politics.

>>> As long as you didn't repeat their mistakes.
>>
>> I made a conscious effort not to.  I'm happy to say that our kid is
>> pretty well adjusted, too. ;)
>>

> :-D

I know, a shock. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 22/09/2013 9:58 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:30:43 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> :)
>>>
>>> Well, he sort of did, but it had to do more with the noise they made as
>>> they went past. :)
>>>

>> Woosh! ;-)
>
> Yup.  The quote is actually etched into the glass of the returns desk at
> our local library. :)

>>> Well, like I said, the ages involved perhaps aren't accurate for
>>> everyone, but for a large number of people, I think this makes a lot of
>>> sense.
>>>

>> Very few of the people I know are like that.
>> But I won't argue, for once. :-)
>
> Awww, that's no fun. ;)

For you maybe. :-)

>> Fairy Nuff. ;-)
>
> :)

Up yer chuff.
Oops! did I say that out loud?

>>> Another Adams quote applies:
>>>
>>> "We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff
>>> that works."
>>>

>> True.
>
> Based on that, I can respect (even if I don't agree with) his decision to
> use Macs. ;)

A techy he was not.

(A worker he was not either.)

>>> I hear this sort of thing, for example,
>>> said by pundits here talking about how much better things were back
>>> when they were kids.
>>
>> Somehow some people think that most people want to hear that. I could be
>> wrong and I was, once before. ;-)
>
> LOL

I'm quoting from Peanuts.

> Exactly.  And yeah, no offense taken - I see this with a lot of people I
> interact with over here - the only thing that matters is them, not the
> other people around them.

:-(

> It's less common amongst liberals, I think, than conservatives.  The
> irony is that many conservatives claim to be Christian, but then do
> things like cut foot stamp programs because they help those "freeloading
> poor people".  Yeah, because living high on the hog when you're poor is
> *so* great.

Grrr!

We have the likes here too. :-(

> One of the most eye-opening experiences I had was going to Moscow when I
> was 17.  Seeing that people there were essentially the same as people
> here really colored my worldview about the difference between people and
> politicians/politics.

Yeah, people are people. It's the bloody politicians and religion, in
fact leaders in general that give us a bad name.

>>> I made a conscious effort not to.  I'm happy to say that our kid is
>>> pretty well adjusted, too. ;)
>>>

>> :-D
>
> I know, a shock. :)

No, a delight.

This is radio free Stephen, signing off until next weekend. :-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 22:09:54 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> Very few of the people I know are like that.
>>> But I won't argue, for once. :-)
>>
>> Awww, that's no fun. ;)
>>

> For you maybe. :-)

Well, from my point of view, that's the one that matters. ;)

>>> Fairy Nuff. ;-)
>>
>> :)
>>

> Up yer chuff.
> Oops! did I say that out loud?

I believe you did. :)

>> Based on that, I can respect (even if I don't agree with) his decision
>> to use Macs. ;)
>>

> A techy he was not.

Certainly true, though he was a fan of technology.

> (A worker he was not either.)

:)

>>> Somehow some people think that most people want to hear that. I could
>>> be wrong and I was, once before. ;-)
>>
>> LOL
>
> I'm quoting from Peanuts.

Interesting, I don't recognise it as Peanuts myself.

>> Exactly.  And yeah, no offense taken - I see this with a lot of people
>> I interact with over here - the only thing that matters is them, not
>> the other people around them.
>>
> :-(

Black Friday is about the best example.

>> It's less common amongst liberals, I think, than conservatives.  The
>> irony is that many conservatives claim to be Christian, but then do
>> things like cut foot stamp programs because they help those
>> "freeloading poor people".  Yeah, because living high on the hog when
>> you're poor is *so* great.
>>

> Grrr!
>
> We have the likes here too. :-(

As someone who actually tried to collect unemployment (and someone who is
reportedly pretty smart), I couldn't see how the system could be "gamed"
the way that is claimed.

Maybe I'm just not devious enough.

>> One of the most eye-opening experiences I had was going to Moscow when
>> I was 17.  Seeing that people there were essentially the same as people
>> here really colored my worldview about the difference between people
>> and politicians/politics.
>>

> Yeah, people are people. It's the bloody politicians and religion, in
> fact leaders in general that give us a bad name.

Yup.

>>> :-D
>>
>> I know, a shock. :)
>>
> No, a delight.