POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:17:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Stephen
Date: 22 Sep 2013 17:09:56
Message: <523f5ca4$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/09/2013 9:58 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:30:43 +0100, Stephen wrote:

>>> :)
>>>
>>> Well, he sort of did, but it had to do more with the noise they made as
>>> they went past. :)
>>>

>> Woosh! ;-)
>
> Yup.  The quote is actually etched into the glass of the returns desk at
> our local library. :)

>>> Well, like I said, the ages involved perhaps aren't accurate for
>>> everyone, but for a large number of people, I think this makes a lot of
>>> sense.
>>>

>> Very few of the people I know are like that.
>> But I won't argue, for once. :-)
>
> Awww, that's no fun. ;)

For you maybe. :-)

>> Fairy Nuff. ;-)
>
> :)

Up yer chuff.
Oops! did I say that out loud?

>>> Another Adams quote applies:
>>>
>>> "We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff
>>> that works."
>>>

>> True.
>
> Based on that, I can respect (even if I don't agree with) his decision to
> use Macs. ;)

A techy he was not.

(A worker he was not either.)

>>> I hear this sort of thing, for example,
>>> said by pundits here talking about how much better things were back
>>> when they were kids.
>>
>> Somehow some people think that most people want to hear that. I could be
>> wrong and I was, once before. ;-)
>
> LOL

I'm quoting from Peanuts.

> Exactly.  And yeah, no offense taken - I see this with a lot of people I
> interact with over here - the only thing that matters is them, not the
> other people around them.

:-(

> It's less common amongst liberals, I think, than conservatives.  The
> irony is that many conservatives claim to be Christian, but then do
> things like cut foot stamp programs because they help those "freeloading
> poor people".  Yeah, because living high on the hog when you're poor is
> *so* great.

Grrr!

We have the likes here too. :-(

> One of the most eye-opening experiences I had was going to Moscow when I
> was 17.  Seeing that people there were essentially the same as people
> here really colored my worldview about the difference between people and
> politicians/politics.

Yeah, people are people. It's the bloody politicians and religion, in
fact leaders in general that give us a bad name.

>>> I made a conscious effort not to.  I'm happy to say that our kid is
>>> pretty well adjusted, too. ;)
>>>

>> :-D
>
> I know, a shock. :)

No, a delight.

This is radio free Stephen, signing off until next weekend. :-)

--
Regards
     Stephen