POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Sep 2013 16:58:32
Message: <523f59f8@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 20:30:43 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 22/09/2013 7:56 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:18:21 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>

>>> Pity, he did not have a theory about keeping deadlines.
>>
>> :)
>>
>> Well, he sort of did, but it had to do more with the noise they made as
>> they went past. :)
>>

> Woosh! ;-)

Yup.  The quote is actually etched into the glass of the returns desk at
our local library. :)

>>> It sounds like a good theory but I don't really think that it cuts the
>>> mustard.
>>
>> Well, like I said, the ages involved perhaps aren't accurate for
>> everyone, but for a large number of people, I think this makes a lot of
>> sense.
>>

> Very few of the people I know are like that.
> But I won't argue, for once. :-)

Awww, that's no fun. ;)

>>> Yes, but at midlife?
>>
>> Well, like I said, it depends on the person.  I know some people who
>> hit that "35" point much earlier, and some who hit it much later.  I
>> think the point isn't so much the specific values, but that this
>> happens to pretty much everyone at some point.
>>

> I am a fairy and my name is Nuff.
>
> Fairy Nuff. ;-)

:)

>> Another Adams quote applies:
>>
>> "We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff
>> that works."
>>

> True.

Based on that, I can respect (even if I don't agree with) his decision to
use Macs. ;)

>> I hear this sort of thing, for example,
>> said by pundits here talking about how much better things were back
>> when they were kids.
>
> Somehow some people think that most people want to hear that. I could be
> wrong and I was, once before. ;-)

LOL

>> But the average American kid back in the 70s (or earlier) wasn't
>> exposed to all the world's problems unless they were on a very huge
>> scale.
>
> For a start most kids don't pay attention to what is going on outside
> their own environment. And I get the feeling that most Americans are
> quite insular, happy to live in their own world. (No offence intended.)

Exactly.  And yeah, no offense taken - I see this with a lot of people I
interact with over here - the only thing that matters is them, not the
other people around them.

It's less common amongst liberals, I think, than conservatives.  The
irony is that many conservatives claim to be Christian, but then do
things like cut foot stamp programs because they help those "freeloading
poor people".  Yeah, because living high on the hog when you're poor is
*so* great.

>> So memories of the time tend to be far more idyllic than the actual
>> time.
>>

> Indeed, it is only looking back on my childhood, with the eyes of an
> adult who has travelled. That I see I was brought up in a deprived area
> and time. Then The sixties and seventies were upon us. And swinging
> Britain made everything groovy.

One of the most eye-opening experiences I had was going to Moscow when I
was 17.  Seeing that people there were essentially the same as people
here really colored my worldview about the difference between people and
politicians/politics.

>>> As long as you didn't repeat their mistakes.
>>
>> I made a conscious effort not to.  I'm happy to say that our kid is
>> pretty well adjusted, too. ;)
>>

> :-D

I know, a shock. :)

Jim