POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mouth ulcers and chocolate Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:44 EDT (-0400)
  Mouth ulcers and chocolate (Message 31 to 40 of 40)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate
Date: 28 Aug 2013 13:22:07
Message: <521e31bf$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/08/2013 10:28 PM, Warp wrote:
> When you really start to study how genes work, you start seeing that
> there is, in fact, no intelligent design behind it. No intelligent
> designer, no matter how incompetent, would be so sloppy and so lazy.
> A mindless process that's simply the by-product of natural laws is.
>
> On the positive side, genes are a marvelous example of emergent behavior
> in nature. Complexity arising from simple rules.

I'm sure a lot of people actually think that somewhere in your DNA is an
encoded number that says how long your femur should be, what speed your
heart should beat at, and various other technical data - you know, like
a man-made blueprint would have on it. If only scientists could work out
how do "decode" this information, we would then know everything there is
to know about the human body. (Or, indeed, any other organism...)

What *actually* happens is that DNA encodes the instructions for
building various different proteins, which - by a MIND-NUMBINGLY
INDIRECT series of steps - results in something that has a recognisable
form.

I guess it's a bit like an IFS. Take, for example, this famous example:

w 	a 	b 	c 	d 	e 	f 	p
ƒ1 	0 	0 	0 	0.16 	0 	0 	0.01
ƒ2 	0.85 	0.04 	−0.04 	0.85 	0 	1.6 	0.85
ƒ3 	0.2 	−0.26 	0.23 	0.22 	0 	1.6 	0.07
ƒ4 	−0.15 	0.28 	0.26 	0.24 	0 	0.44 	0.07

This doesn't describe any geometric shapes at all. It merely defines
four spatial transformations. And yet, iteratively applying these
transforms yields a strange attractor which looks strikingly like a fern
leaf... even though there's no fern coordinates here.

It seems likely that an *actual* fern probably works the same way...

Post a reply to this message