POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mouth ulcers and chocolate : Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 28 Aug 2013 15:20:28
Message: <521e4d7c@news.povray.org>
>> This makes it sound as if "evolution" is some magical process whereby
>> each time we reproduce, our DNA gets optimised to our situation, so that
>> as generations pass, everybody slowly improves...
>
> Indeed, genes do not "try" to do anything. They just change slightly with
> each individual that's born.

If anything, the only thing "deciding" what genes will go into the next
generation is YOU - when you decide who to **** with. ;-)

> Another thing that many people don't understand is that a change in a
> gene can have several consequences.

Again, just like a fractal. But then, if you look at molecular biology,
you discover that cortisol is a hormone, and also just happens to be a
neurotransmitter too - how random is that? That's like making a
telephone that's also a video camera - oh, wait...

> I have been thinking that humans have evolved to a point where rather
> than becoming better, we may in fact be becoming worse. Because of
> progress in healthcare, nutrition, and all other kinds of things that
> help people survive, all kinds of detrimental changes to our genes are
> not being removed from the gene pool, which means that over time our
> genes will become more and more trash. I'm expecting that as further
> thousands and thousands of generations pass, the number of genetic
> disorders and diseases will only increase in prevalence, simply because
> there's nothing removing them from the gene pool.

That's the idea I get too.

> Actually, for humans to evolve to be less fat would require
>
> 1) for obesity to be an inherited trait (that can change without causing
>     ancillary side-effects that are worse), and

I think it already is.

It is obvious that how fat you are depends on what you eat. But it is
equally obvious that some people have more of a tendency to retain fat
than others, or more of a drive to eat more. As with most things, it's
partly genetic and partly environmental.

> 2) for people with this trait to never reach a reproductive age.

Well, technically we just need them to not reproduce - either by dying,
or by failing to find a mate, or whatever.

But yes, I share your conclusion. Not likely.