POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mouth ulcers and chocolate : Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate
From: Warp
Date: 29 Aug 2013 13:42:50
Message: <521f881a@news.povray.org>
> I've read stories about how lab rats injected with certain hormones
> gorge themselves on fat, while if you inject them with different ones
> they prefer to feast on protein. It's entirely possible that there's a
> genetic component to your dietary preferences - and maybe even your
> level of physical activity. Like I said, I'm not suggesting that it's
> ALL genetics; the environmental factors are obvious for all to see. But
> I think there's certainly a genetic component to all of this.

And let's not forget, once again, that genes very seldom affect only one
thing. Most often they affect several things. People tend to think that
genes encode individual aspects of the human biology, and that you can
just "fine-tune" each individual aspect by tinkering with its correspondent
gene. But that's not how it usually works.

It's not impossible that the fact that our bodies tend to store all the
extra fat they can get rather than being "moderate" about it may be the
result of a gene that, if modified, would affect something else much more
negatively.

(Although it's also not impossible that "fixing" the obesity problem by
tinkering with the necessary gene could also have other beneficial
ancillary consequences. However, I would guess this to be unlikely
because if it were the case, it would have probably happened on its own
a long time ago.)

--
                                                          - Warp