POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mouth ulcers and chocolate : Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 28 Aug 2013 13:37:52
Message: <521e3570$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/08/2013 10:28 PM, Warp wrote:
> Genes are, ultimately, rather inefficient at "optimizing" an organism
> Evolution is all about compromises. The genetic code is very slow to
> change in the right way to do something efficiently.

I love the suggestion some people are making that maybe humans will
"evolve" to be less fat.

This makes it sound as if "evolution" is some magical process whereby
each time we reproduce, our DNA gets optimised to our situation, so that
as generations pass, everybody slowly improves...

No, this is not how evolution works. When you say "humans will evolve to
be less fat", what you're actually saying is "all the fat people will
die". Because THAT has how evolution changes stuff.

Of course, we have all sorts of government institutions set up
explicitly to PREVENT this mass death happening. Thus, humans will NOT
in fact "evolve to be less fat". Because there's no selection pressure.
Organisms only evolve to avoid stuff that kills them. If it's not fatal,
it doesn't get fixed. And since humans no longer live in an environment
where the weak perish and only the strong survive, evolution has little
or nothing to do with it.

(OK, correction: It doesn't matter if it kills you or not. It matters if
it stops you reproducing. Killing you is just the most obvious way to do
that...)