POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mouth ulcers and chocolate Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:44 EDT (-0400)
  Mouth ulcers and chocolate (Message 21 to 30 of 40)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate
Date: 26 Aug 2013 10:49:50
Message: <521b6b0e@news.povray.org>
Francois Labreque <fla### [at] videotronca> wrote:
> Fun fact #2: We've all evolved from sea-dwelling animals who had to deal
> with sea water's osmotic pressure for millennia, so there's nothing
> really surprising about fun fact #1.

It's actually quite interesting to study what kinds of morphological and
biological similarities we still have compared to our amazingly distant
fish ancestors from hundreds of millions of years ago.

For example, all terrestrial tetrapods (which includes us) have the
same basic limb bone structure: One bone (upper arm) -> two bones (lower
arm) -> a bunch of small bones (wrist) -> a group of long thin bones
(palm/fingers).

(In some animals the limb's end may have changed so that eg. a toe has
grown into a hoof, but the basic structure is still discernible.)

This basic limb structure can be traced all the way back to the fish from
which all tetrapods evolved from. (Our fingers used to be the bones in
the pectoral fins of that fish.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message