POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mouth ulcers and chocolate : Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mouth ulcers and chocolate
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 26 Aug 2013 17:16:44
Message: <521bc5bc$1@news.povray.org>
On 26/08/2013 03:49 PM, Warp wrote:
> For example, all terrestrial tetrapods (which includes us) have the
> same basic limb bone structure: One bone (upper arm) ->  two bones (lower
> arm) ->  a bunch of small bones (wrist) ->  a group of long thin bones
> (palm/fingers).

In a way, that's pretty amazing. But in a way, it would be far more
amazing if all these animals did *not* have the same bone structure -
that would imply a sudden change in skeletal design, which is quite
unlikely.

> (In some animals the limb's end may have changed so that eg. a toe has
> grown into a hoof, but the basic structure is still discernible.)

Take a dog, for example. The part of a dog's leg that *looks* like an
elbow is actually homologous to the human wrist joint. The *actual*
elbow is hidden inside the dog's body where you can't see it. And the
thing that looks like an angle is actually our finger joint. It's whacky
stuff...