POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:33 EDT (-0400)
  Math questions (Message 21 to 30 of 90)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Math questions
Date: 15 Jul 2013 05:12:15
Message: <51e3bcef@news.povray.org>
scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> What happens if an infinite number of buses turn up at once?

Wouldn't that be the power set of natural numbers, making it a genuinely
larger set? Unless I have once again misunderstood something completely.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 15 Jul 2013 05:16:26
Message: <51e3bdea@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] kosherhotmailcom> wrote:
> > 4) So the next question is: Does a countably-infinite-dimensional unit
> > cube contain the same amount of points as a unit line? If yes, can you
> > give a 1-to-1 mapping between them?

> Yes, as you can see from above.  The unit line, unit square, unit cube,
> unit hypercube, etc., all have the same countability.

You demonstrated that an n-dimensional unit cube has the same amount of
points as a unit line. However, that's not what the question is asking.

> > 5) And the logical extreme: Does an uncountably-infinite-dimensional
> > unit cube contain the same amount of points as a unit line? Explain why.
> > (Also explain how the number of dimensions can be uncountably infinite.
> > That seems to defy the definition of "dimension".)

> The hypercube of infinite dimension may have a higher countability than
> any finite-dimensioned cube, but it is certainly no lower in countability.

I'm not sure that answer makes sense...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message