POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: scott
Date: 15 Jul 2013 06:08:53
Message: <51e3ca35@news.povray.org>
On 15/07/2013 10:12, Warp wrote:
> scott <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
>> What happens if an infinite number of buses turn up at once?
>
> Wouldn't that be the power set of natural numbers, making it a genuinely
> larger set? Unless I have once again misunderstood something completely.

Thinking about it a bit more I came up with this:

People arriving on a bus, give them a bus number, B, from 1 to infinity,
and a seat number, S, from 1 to infinity
People already in the hotel, give them bus number 0, and their seat
number is their existing room number
Everyone then has a unique B and S number.

To map 2D integers to 1D you can use a formula like the cantor pairing
function (had to look up what that was called, but I remember it from
school) 0.5*(B+S)*(B+S+1)+S. This then gives you their new room number
in the hotel.