POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 15 Jul 2013 17:54:15
Message: <51e46f87$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/13/2013 6:50 AM, Warp wrote:
> 1) Does a unit square contain the same amount of points as a unit line?
> (We are talking about real numbers here.)

Taking "same amount of points" to mean "the two sets of points have the
same cardinality", then yes.

> 2) If yes, that means there has to be a 1-to-1 mapping between those
> points. Give a function that expresses such a mapping.

An injective mapping suffices to prove #1 (since the other direction is
trivial), and interleaving the digits achieves this.  A 1-to-1 mapping
is trickier due to annoying edge cases with multiple decimal
representations of the same number.  I don't see a (constructive) way to
do a true 1-to-1 mapping off of the top of my head.

> 3) If the answer to the first question is yes, then it follows that
> the amount of points inside a unit cube is also the same as the amount
> of points on a unit line. The same for a four-dimensional hypercube,
> and so on. Can you give a generic function that gives a 1-to-1 mapping
> between a unit line and an n-dimensional unit cube?

My answer is identical to #2.

> 4) So the next question is: Does a countably-infinite-dimensional unit
> cube contain the same amount of points as a unit line? If yes, can you
> give a 1-to-1 mapping between them?

Assuming you take the "obvious" definition of an "inifinite dimensional
unit cube" to actually be a unit cube (which I think is natural to do),
then yes.  Again, only an injective mapping is obvious to me.  This can
be done with a triangular interleaving type pattern.

> 5) And the logical extreme: Does an uncountably-infinite-dimensional
> unit cube contain the same amount of points as a unit line? Explain why.
> (Also explain how the number of dimensions can be uncountably infinite.
> That seems to defy the definition of "dimension".)

As you've stated it, I believe the answer to this depends on the
continuum hypothesis.