POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Math questions : Re: Math questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Math questions
From: Warp
Date: 15 Jul 2013 05:47:14
Message: <51e3c521@news.povray.org>
> Given the 2D coordinates of a point on the unit square, you can
> interleave their decimal digits, which always yields a unique point on
> the unit line. For example,

>    0.3425
>    0.2183 -> 0. 32 41 28 53

One problem I see with this is that some real numbers can have more than
one decimal representation.

For example 1 and 0.99999... represent the exact same real number, but
their decimal representation is different.

Obviously if you had eg the point (0.5, 0.1), it would make a big difference
how you represent that 0.1. In one case you would get 0.51 while in
the other you get 0.500909090909..., which is obviously not the same value
as 0.51. Thus it wouldn't be a pure bijection.

--
                                                          - Warp