POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's mirth Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:31:16 EDT (-0400)
  Today's mirth (Message 71 to 80 of 90)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Today's mirth
Date: 11 Jun 2013 12:34:29
Message: <51b75195@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 08:59:59 +0100, scott wrote:

>>> Whether it ends in a preposition or not is irrelevant to whether the
>>> sentence makes sense. The reason "The apple was beside." doesn't make
>>> sense is not because it ends in a preposition, but because there is
>>> some part missing from it. I could easily have said "I moved the box
>>> that the apple was beside." and that would be fine.
>>
>> Yes, that would be fine, because you've defined the object.
>
> That sounds a much better "rule of thumb".

It's what I've been saying all along.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 11 Jun 2013 13:10:31
Message: <51b75a07$1@news.povray.org>
>> Now you mention it, I also haven't seen him for a while.
>
> <rimshot>

Good work, people.

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 11 Jun 2013 13:11:10
Message: <51b75a2e$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/06/2013 10:02 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Guessing his current employer isn't as problematic about him posting from
> work (or he doesn't have time to) as his previous employer was.

My employer's network is supposedly under constant surveillance. Plus,
I'm usually far too busy to post anything...

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Jun 2013 00:26:29
Message: <51b7f875$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Jun 2013 18:11:11 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 10/06/2013 10:02 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Guessing his current employer isn't as problematic about him posting
>> from work (or he doesn't have time to) as his previous employer was.
>
> My employer's network is supposedly under constant surveillance. Plus,
> I'm usually far too busy to post anything...

That would explain the posting times. :)

How's the new house/flat?

Jim

Post a reply to this message