POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apparently it didn't catch on Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:14 EDT (-0400)
  Apparently it didn't catch on (Message 1 to 10 of 19)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Apparently it didn't catch on
Date: 23 Feb 2013 11:17:37
Message: <5128eba1$1@news.povray.org>
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/excel/excel.pdf

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Apparently it didn't catch on
Date: 23 Feb 2013 11:30:08
Message: <5128ee90@news.povray.org>
Am 23.02.2013 17:17, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/excel/excel.pdf

No connection from here.

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 23 Feb 2013 11:50:00
Message: <web.5128f3007bf70a1cc2d977c20@news.povray.org>
I couldn't connect either--"The connection has timed out."

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 23 Feb 2013 17:07:49
Message: <51293db5@news.povray.org>

> Am 23.02.2013 17:17, schrieb Orchid Win7 v1:
>> http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/people/simonpj/Papers/excel/excel.pdf
>>

> No connection from here.

It's working from here.  I guess the Internet hamsters have gone back on
their wheel.

The paper talks about user-defined functions in Excel for example, if
column a has temperatures in Celcius, and you want column B to have them
in Farenheit, you can easily type "=A1*9/5+32" in B1 and copy that the
whole way down, but their ide was to create a function called, say
"C2F()" that did that and then B1 would be: ="C2F(A1)".

Of course, this is a trivial example, but if you need to revisit your
formula, modify one user-defined function would a lot simpler than
having to hunt down every cell in the spreadsheet where it might have
been used.

To Andy's point of it not catching on, The authors make it quite clear
in the abstract that they don't like the idea of a full-fledged
programming language being bolted-on to Excel.  I guess they got shot
down when the Powers-That-Be(tm) decided that VBA would be the way to go.