POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Apparently it didn't catch on : Re: Apparently it didn't catch on Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Apparently it didn't catch on
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 24 Feb 2013 06:58:11
Message: <512a0053$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/02/2013 10:07 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> To Andy's point of it not catching on, The authors make it quite clear
> in the abstract that they don't like the idea of a full-fledged
> programming language being bolted-on to Excel. I guess they got shot
> down when the Powers-That-Be(tm) decided that VBA would be the way to go.

Reading the conclusion, it appears they never actually wrote the running
code. They had a PowerPoint mockup, a demo written in Flash, and so on.
But they never actually implemented a real Excel extension that really
did work.

Also, the report makes quite clear that VBA already exists today. The
problem is, the number of people who understand spreadsheets vastly
outnumbers the number of people who can work something as abstract as
VBA (or any other purely text-based language). Hence the motivation for
this paper.

I guess MS figured there was no market for it. Which is not an
unreasonable conclusion...