POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Funniest bug ever Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:13 EDT (-0400)
  Funniest bug ever (Message 40 to 49 of 49)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Funniest bug ever
Date: 4 Mar 2013 04:37:04
Message: <51346b40$1@news.povray.org>
>> I miss on the Acorn where you could just reference drives by the name of
>> the disk in the drive. In windows why can't I rename my external drive
>> "backup" and then write to "backup:\", it even comes up in the Win7
>> address bar in explorer...
>
> Because DOS.

Maybe that's because on DOS/Windows hard drives came along before
multi-tasking? So you never got the situation where you were swapping
floppies around to do several things at once in a multi-tasking
environment. In that situation it's very useful for the OS/app to know
which disc to use, rather than just which drive to use (otherwise you
end up saving your word processor document to your printer driver disc
and then can't find the latest version the next day).

Post a reply to this message

>>> I miss on the Acorn where you could just reference drives by the name of
>>> the disk in the drive. In windows why can't I rename my external drive
>>> "backup" and then write to "backup:\", it even comes up in the Win7
>>> address bar in explorer...
>>
>> Because DOS.
>
> Maybe that's because on DOS/Windows hard drives came along before
> multi-tasking? So you never got the situation where you were swapping
> floppies around to do several things at once in a multi-tasking
> environment. In that situation it's very useful for the OS/app to know
> which disc to use, rather than just which drive to use (otherwise you
> end up saving your word processor document to your printer driver disc
> and then can't find the latest version the next day).

This sounds like a "been there, done that".

>> Maybe that's because on DOS/Windows hard drives came along before
>> multi-tasking? So you never got the situation where you were swapping
>> floppies around to do several things at once in a multi-tasking
>> environment. In that situation it's very useful for the OS/app to know
>> which disc to use, rather than just which drive to use (otherwise you
>> end up saving your word processor document to your printer driver disc
>> and then can't find the latest version the next day).
>
> This sounds like a "been there, done that".

Nope, I never went near a DOS/Windows machine until Windows 95 when hard
drives were standard. When I first got my Acorn it only had 1MB RAM and
no hard drive, so everything (apart from the OS which was in ROM) was on
floppies. If you needed to edit a spreadsheet, create a chart and put it
in a desktop publishing document then print it out (as was quite common
for school homework), you'd need to be using at least 3 or 4 different
discs and then it's important you saved all the stuff on the right disc!
I have no idea how DOS/Windows handled such situations before everyone
had hard drives.

Post a reply to this message