POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Funniest bug ever : Re: Funniest bug ever Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Funniest bug ever
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 Mar 2013 12:15:06
Message: <5137799a$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/27/2013 10:12 AM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>> I miss on the Acorn where you could just reference drives by the name of
>> the disk in the drive. In windows why can't I rename my external drive
>> "backup" and then write to "backup:\", it even comes up in the Win7
>> address bar in explorer...
>>

> Because DOS.

More like, "Because lazy". You can name drives under DOS, I think you
could even do so with a floppy, but then your application has to
"manually" check to make sure that the name is the same, since they a)
never added a way to reference, as far as I know, the drive name as a
means to write to it, and b) the OS doesn't check if the name changed on
its own, as far as I am aware.