POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Funniest bug ever : Re: Funniest bug ever Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Funniest bug ever
From: scott
Date: 6 Mar 2013 10:15:43
Message: <51375d9f$1@news.povray.org>
>> Maybe that's because on DOS/Windows hard drives came along before
>> multi-tasking? So you never got the situation where you were swapping
>> floppies around to do several things at once in a multi-tasking
>> environment. In that situation it's very useful for the OS/app to know
>> which disc to use, rather than just which drive to use (otherwise you
>> end up saving your word processor document to your printer driver disc
>> and then can't find the latest version the next day).
>
> This sounds like a "been there, done that".

Nope, I never went near a DOS/Windows machine until Windows 95 when hard
drives were standard. When I first got my Acorn it only had 1MB RAM and
no hard drive, so everything (apart from the OS which was in ROM) was on
floppies. If you needed to edit a spreadsheet, create a chart and put it
in a desktop publishing document then print it out (as was quite common
for school homework), you'd need to be using at least 3 or 4 different
discs and then it's important you saved all the stuff on the right disc!
I have no idea how DOS/Windows handled such situations before everyone
had hard drives.