POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Scientific illiteracy in boards of education (Message 8 to 17 of 107)
<<< Previous 7 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
Date: 6 Nov 2012 08:31:53
Message: <50991149$1@news.povray.org>
Le 06/11/2012 13:04, clipka a écrit :
> Am 06.11.2012 11:12, schrieb scott:
>>> We need to have some sort of intelligence test for our elected leaders.
>>> If they can't pass basic science, history, and math, they shouldn't be
>>> allowed to hold political office.
>>
>> No, you need some sort of intelligence test for the *voters*, otherwise
>> they will just vote against such leader testing or vote to make it so
>> easy it's pointless.
>
> A "wisdom test" seems to me closer to the mark. While stupid people are
> dangerous, some highly intelligent ones aren't any better.

Some "common sense" tests, as well as a reality check of current price
should also be mandatory.

Some of our politics are so disconnected from normal life they would be
ready to say the price of bread, butter, local transportation ticket or
meat is ten or more time the actual price. Or the opposite direction (if
they got a life, twenty years ago). They now only bother to check before
the election, as long as they do not mix their notes...

And for countries that have minimal wages, politics should be paid only
that amount. (the argument about corruption is void and demonstrated so
by their predecessors: no amount of salary for the politics is to
protect against the lobbies, so no point in big money any more: you want
the power while pretending to serve the community, we do not pay more
than a minimal full-time job. In fact, the surface-cleaning people in
charge of the toilet might get paid better than the president... oh dreams)

I, for once, regret the old Athenian random designation system: you get
in charge for a year, randomly chosen amongst the voters, and cannot
resign before term.

Post a reply to this message