POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Scientific illiteracy in boards of education : Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scientific illiteracy in boards of education
From: scott
Date: 6 Nov 2012 11:01:43
Message: <50993467$1@news.povray.org>
>>> And for countries that have minimal wages, politics should be paid only
>>> that amount.
>>
>> You pay peanuts you get monkeys.
>
> Well, if politics want a better salary, they can raise the minimal
> wages... for everyone.

Some jobs only need monkeys though, surely you're not saying the amount
of skill/experience needed in politics is equal to the lowest skilled
jobs in society? The more you pay below the "market rate" for
politicians jobs the fewer good people you'll have to choose from.

>>> I, for once, regret the old Athenian random designation system: you get
>>> in charge for a year, randomly chosen amongst the voters, and cannot
>>> resign before term.
>>
>> You don't think some people would be better at running a country than
>> others?
>

> Of course, but election is no better than random, and it might even be
> worse.
>
> Let's compare an honest modest citizen and a corrupted Mafiosi with huge
> financial support from deleter industries (they want to get baby as a
> product, to be able to sell it as a whole as well as in pieces... within
> asbestos... to the Hollywood's forever young stars... )  :
> * random : it's 50/50
> * election : guess who has the most valuable campaign and get elected ?

Well you can put a cap on the amount companies are allowed to give to
political parties (or just ban it totally) and force them to make all
donations public (if they don't already). But again it comes back to the
intelligence of the voters if they vote in someone like the above.