POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stack Exchange fights bad patents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Stack Exchange fights bad patents (Message 1 to 10 of 17)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Stack Exchange fights bad patents
Date: 21 Sep 2012 11:57:05
Message: <505c8e51$1@news.povray.org>
http://tinyurl.com/9vvsvob

Interesting idea I suppose.

About 50% of the comments seem to be "No, we should just ban ALL
PATENTS! Because patents are EVIL! All you guys are doing is
legitimising patents."

Now maybe we don't need software patents. I don't know. But what I *do*
know is this: The pharmaceutical industry wouldn't exist without patents.

You see, a drug is a bit like a big-budget movie: It costs *billions* of
dollars to develop and test a drug to the point where it gets licensed
for use on humans. But once the drug has been invented, it costs about
0.0003 USD per pill to manufacture the stuff. The *only* reason anyone
is willing to pay billions of dollars to develop new drugs is that they
know that if it gets licensed, then for the next X years they can sell
this stuff for $$$ per pill - i.e., vastly more than what it costs to
manufacture.

Without patents, a company would spend billions on making a new drug,
get it licensed, and then every other company on the globe would start
manufacturing it and selling it for peanuts - because, let's face it,
they have no design costs to recoup.

Of course, this would not happen - what would *actually* happen is that
nobody would develop new drugs in the first place. And that would be
pretty catastrophic.

So what's the alternative? Honestly, I don't know... Perhaps if drug
licenses were only granted to the company that did all the safety
testing? That might work?

Post a reply to this message