POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stack Exchange fights bad patents : Re: Stack Exchange fights bad patents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stack Exchange fights bad patents
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 26 Sep 2012 13:27:58
Message: <50633b1e$1@news.povray.org>
On 21/09/2012 10:29 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> One irritated commenter posted this link:
>
> http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/papers/anew.all.pdf
>
> It's going to take me... a while to read all that. But it seems quite
> interesting.

I said it would take me a while to read it all! I only just finished.
Man, that was *a lot* of text...

While many of their arguments make a great deal of sense, I'm still not
completely sold on a few things.

The argument against patents seems clear. They should go.

The exception is the pharmaceutical industry. That's because
pharmaceuticals require absurdly expensive testing before you're allowed
to sell them. But, as the authors point out, the purpose of testing is
to find out *if* a new drug works. If that work is funded by the company
that just spent $$$ inventing that drug... well, can you spell "conflict
of interest"? So perhaps we need a system where somebody else funds
clinical testing. If we can sort that out, then making new drugs becomes
about as expensive as making new anything-else, and the argument for
patents vanishes in pharmaceuticals as it does everywhere else.

The one that gets me, though, is copyright.

They claim that authors writing in England (which had copyright laws)
made more money from American customers than from their native England.
(And, at the time, America had no copyright laws.) I cannot wrap my mind
around this. I am not saying it is untrue - but rather, that I cannot
comprehend /how/ it can be true. If in America it costs nothing to copy
an author's work, HOW ARE THEY MAKING MONEY??

Similarly, a later chapter comes tentatively close to saying "You don't
need a multi-million dollar recording studio to make music any more. All
you need is a laptop and a few hundred dollars worth of other stuff."
This is not true, of course. High quality microphones still cost a
crapload of money. Sound-proofed rooms are still extremely expensive.
Professional recording engineers aren't cheap. And so forth.

But really, if music did not have copyright, I'm pretty sure we would
see an army of backroom musicians putting out some great stuff. I'm a
little worried that, like YouTube, most of the cool stuff would be
droned in an ocean of stupid musical burping and other nonsense. But
there would be a lot more music out there. (I could show you some of the
music *I* made, for example...)

What I really cannot figure out is this: It apparently cost $225,000,000
to film Pirates of the Caribbean. It's not just that it has famous
actors in it and there are some big explosions. If you watch the
documentary DVD, you'll see that they took an entire container ship
loaded to the max, sailed to a tiny tropical island, and terraformed
half of it. Seriously. They built an entire town. They cut down jungle.
They built new roads. They created whole buildings. They build brand new
infrastructure that didn't exist there before. Just so they could film
the few scenes in the movie that call for a jungle setting.

And you're seriously telling me that somebody is going to spend
$225,000,000 of their own money, knowing that as soon as the first DVD
is minted, the entire movie will be available globally for $0, and the
studio will never make a single penny back? Like, seriously??