POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stack Exchange fights bad patents : Re: Stack Exchange fights bad patents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:21:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stack Exchange fights bad patents
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 26 Sep 2012 20:28:41
Message: <50639db9$1@news.povray.org>

> Similarly, a later chapter comes tentatively close to saying "You don't
> need a multi-million dollar recording studio to make music any more. All
> you need is a laptop and a few hundred dollars worth of other stuff."
> This is not true, of course. High quality microphones still cost a
> crapload of money. Sound-proofed rooms are still extremely expensive.
> Professional recording engineers aren't cheap. And so forth.

Who said anything about high quality microphones or sound-proof rooms?
Most music is done with synthetizers nowadays.  And in the event that
they actually want a good mic, they can get them used for less than $100
off e-Bay.

Professional recording engineers don't come beofre you get an actual
record deal with a company.

Most people are do-it-yourselfers nowadays.  I know a few that actually
made enough money by recording in their bedrooms that they are actually
making a living out of it.

Back in the good old days, bands would sell "demo tapes" recorded in
their garage or basement (hence the name "garage sound") at concerts, to
help pay the bills and hoping that these would end up in some record
industry's guy lap.  Now the quality of many of these demos is actually
good enough that some simply skip the record company part and sell their
own CDs.