POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stack Exchange fights bad patents : Re: Stack Exchange fights bad patents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:27:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stack Exchange fights bad patents
From: andrel
Date: 21 Sep 2012 14:27:49
Message: <505CB1A5.8010306@gmail.com>
I think you're case for the pharmaceuticals is a bit biased towards the
official propaganda of those companies.
Reality is much more complex.
There is the problem that very few new medicines come on the market. The
rules are probably just too strict. And the main improvements are mostly
done, most things nowadays are statistical improvements. What the
companies are doing is finding ways to extend an existing patent, not
creating new ones. (A bit like Walt Disney finding ways to extend the IP
on mickey mouse indefinitely.) The money they earn with that only for a
small fraction goes into research, most of it goes to marketing. Which
often means that a new patient group is identified (or conjured from
thin air) and doctors are pushed to prescribe it. Backed by scientific
studies that are less objective than one would hope.
In the mean time proven effective medicine is withdrawn from the market,
because they make more money on another medicine.
And we need Bill Gates to fund the medicines that are needed but not
profitable.
It is clear that the current way of funding medicines has a lot of
problems, but we don't have a better alternative yet.

--
Women are the canaries of science. When they are underrepresented
it is a strong indication that non-scientific factors play a role