POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:11:36 EDT (-0400)
  Move with the times (Message 71 to 80 of 113)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Move with the times
Date: 6 Sep 2012 03:22:36
Message: <50484f3c@news.povray.org>
On 06/09/2012 05:15 AM, Darren New wrote:
> "Is it supposed to smoke when I turn it on?"
>
> "What? No, of course not!"
>
> "Should I turn it off, then?"

This thing is brilliant! I mean, it's ACTUALLY ILLUMINATING THE ROOM!

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 6 Sep 2012 05:47:40
Message: <5048713c@news.povray.org>
> OK, but... like what?

Well nowadays you can implement pretty much anything as a web page, so
you could argue that any phone app could instead be implemented as a web
page. The point of an app is that it can take on the same UI as the rest
of your device (menu options, saved data, sync options etc) rather than
being more limited as a web page.

Maybe there are some things web pages can't do though, like take control
of your microphone, camera, acceleration sensors etc, so you'd need an
app for them. For example I have a guitar tuner app, not sure if that
would be possible as a web page. Or the one that allows me to control
the camera remotely, again not sure a web page could manage that.

> Full HD, on a screen only an inch across. How pointless...
>
> (You realise that the human eye can only focus on objects a certain
> distance away from your face, right? Never mind if you want to see it
> with both eyes simultaneously.)

Most arguments against higher dpi displays forget/ignore the fact that
images typically displayed are not perfectly anti-aliased. Even images
from the camera are scaled by some non-optimal algorithm before being
sent to the display (unsurprisingly Apple's algorithm seemed to be the
best at this). Image that are computer generated, especially in
real-time, are likely to have far more aliasing artefacts even with so
called "AA" features enabled. You've seen how slow POV goes when you use
"+am2 +r4" - you can't afford to do that (or similar) on a mobile device.

When you have images like this you can *easily* spot the difference
between a 300 and 600 dpi display at a normal 30 cm viewing distance. At
my previous job we did lots of testing on this, and the worst image we
had was something like this, supposedly from a game (not this exact
image, but it had a lot of aliasing around certain parts of the cars):

http://cdn.digitaltrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/gran-turismo-5-sema-2009-screenshots-9.jpg

A lot of people could even tell the difference between the 600 and 1200
dpi version of that one.  600 dpi = full HD on a ~4" phone.

> Oh, I know Facebook is /constantly/ trying to shove stuff like that in
> my face...

Surprising, I thought it detected the device that was requesting the
webpage and only popped up the message if you were on a phone or tablet
etc - never seen it on the desktop site.

Post a reply to this message