POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times : Re: Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Move with the times
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 3 Oct 2012 07:32:13
Message: <506c223d$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Full HD, on a screen only an inch across. How pointless...
>
>> Where do you get this 1" figure that you keep repeating?
>
> I get the impression that he opposes most of the new technology that
> happens to be popular, just out of principle, and uses exaggeration to
> denigrate the achievements of technology and progress that he doesn't
> like. It's popular, therefore it must suck.

You know, it's odd. I never set out to do that. I've always been
interested in technology and the interesting directions it can take us
in. And yet, just lately, I find myself feeling like a stereotypical old
guy who doesn't understand new stuff. I don't set out to dislike things
because they're new or trendy - and yet, all the things I have a problem
with seem to turn out to be new or trendy things.

In the case of the phone thing above, it's simple: If the screen was any
bigger, the device wouldn't fit in your pocket. It's that simple. Just
some basic physics.

When you think about it for more than six consecutive seconds, the
purpose of watching a movie is total immersion. Even today, with the
rise of "home cinema systems" and so forth, people will still willingly
pay really quite large sums of money to go and watch movies in an
/actual/ cinema. Because no matter how big your plasma TV at home is, it
just doesn't compare to a cinema screen that's bigger than your entire
house. Plus, your neighbours wouldn't let you turn the sound up to the
point where the building physically shakes. But cinemas can do that.

Of course, that's not to say that watching movies at home is an empty
experience. It's still quite enjoyable, it's just not as awesome.

Now, imagine watching a movie on a screen that's so tiny that you have
to hold it a few inches in front of your face to even be able to /see/
it. I just have to ask: What the hell is the point? I mean, other than
the bragging rights for saying "I have an expensive piece of equipment".
It just seems pointless to me...

(Then again, that's fine. I don't have to pay for one.)