POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:19:33 EDT (-0400)
  Preparedness (Message 63 to 72 of 142)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Preparedness
Date: 29 Aug 2012 06:37:28
Message: <503df0e8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.08.2012 09:56, schrieb Invisible:
> On 28/08/2012 06:59 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Again, you're making an assumption based on limited experience.
>
> Well, here's the thing: It is not possible to experience everything that
> exists in the entire world. Hence, /everybody/ has to make
> generalisations based on the limited data available to them. Following
> your chain of logic, you're basically saying that nobody can ever know
> anything about anything. :-P

And he'd be right with that statement :-P (Well, maybe except such
basics as "I think, therefore I am")

The difference is whether someone expresses their assumptions as
irrefutable facts or as personal assumptions, and whether they take into
account other people's experience in those assumptions.

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 08:56:02 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> On 28/08/2012 06:59 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Again, you're making an assumption based on limited experience.
>
> Well, here's the thing: It is not possible to experience everything that
> exists in the entire world. Hence, /everybody/ has to make
> generalisations based on the limited data available to them. Following
> your chain of logic, you're basically saying that nobody can ever know
> anything about anything. :-P

And when additional information is provided, that additional information
should be incorporated into your thinking, rather than sticking your
fingers in your ears and screaming "lalalallalalalalalala I CAN'T HEAR
YOU!!!!"

;)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 12:37:25 +0200, clipka wrote:

> Am 29.08.2012 09:56, schrieb Invisible:
>> On 28/08/2012 06:59 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Again, you're making an assumption based on limited experience.
>>
>> Well, here's the thing: It is not possible to experience everything
>> that exists in the entire world. Hence, /everybody/ has to make
>> generalisations based on the limited data available to them. Following
>> your chain of logic, you're basically saying that nobody can ever know
>> anything about anything. :-P
>
> And he'd be right with that statement :-P (Well, maybe except such
> basics as "I think, therefore I am")
>
> The difference is whether someone expresses their assumptions as
> irrefutable facts or as personal assumptions, and whether they take into
> account other people's experience in those assumptions.

Well said. :)

Jim

Post a reply to this message