POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hyperthreading Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Hyperthreading (Message 11 to 20 of 48)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Hyperthreading
Date: 6 Jul 2012 06:49:26
Message: <4ff6c2b6@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> On 06/07/2012 11:17 AM, clipka wrote:

> > You're doing something fundamentally wrong here: You should have a
> > single instance of POV-Ray running, with 100% CPU utilization :-P
> >
> > (Hint: Get POV-Ray 3.7!)

> Maybe when the beta finishes, eh?

It is finished. It's a release candidate.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 6 Jul 2012 06:49:39
Message: <4ff6c2c3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.07.2012 12:22, schrieb Invisible:

> It might be useful if POV-Ray could actually try to estimate the time
> remaining. It's not especially useful looking at the average PPS for the
> entire scene.

Estimating the time remaining is pretty difficult, as you'll often have
very inhomogenous complexity across the entire image. The sky, for
instance, is usually comparatively simple; the main motif - typically in
the center of the image - is usually quite complex; and the ground may
(or may not) be quite easy again. So any naive prediction is doomed to
be wrong, and may be off by orders of magnitude.

One attempt that might make sense would be to use a more-or-less random
ordering of SMP render tiles, and estimate the remaining time as (blocks
remaining)*(total time spent for the actual render)/(blocks rendered).

That still doesn't help with render time estimation during photon
gathering, radiosity pretrace, or even mosaic preview (anti-aliasing
requirements may be inhomohenous across the image without any necessary
corellation with per-ray render time).

Post a reply to this message