POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hyperthreading : Re: Hyperthreading Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hyperthreading
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 6 Jul 2012 10:08:27
Message: <4ff6f15b$1@news.povray.org>

> On 05/07/2012 08:25 PM, Warp wrote:
>
>> What the number is telling is how many virtual cores are being used at
>> the moment by that process (assuming that it's using all of the virtual
>> cores fully).
>
> Ah, I see. The number measures the amount of processor time /allocated/
> by the OS, not the amount of actual computation process made. Got it.
>
> So if a task spends most of its time idle due to cache misses or sharing
> executing units with a second hyperthreaded task, or whatever, the OS
> can't easily measure that.

Exactly.  On my underpowered Stinkpad, TaskMangler will routinely report
that the 2 cores are about 12-15% each, but the whole PC has become
almost unresponsive since it's swapping and the swapfile sits on a
software encrypted disk*, so the PGP task needs to be swapped in to
encrypt/decrypt every swap file activity.

*Don't ask.  Company policy.